Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 CR-V is throwing the maintenance code B14. I got a quote from the dealership for $1100. Is this reasonable?

The required maintenance includes:
  • Replace serpentine belt.
  • Replace spark plugs.
  • Adjust valves.
Plus various inspections and an oil change.

My favorite neighborhood shop got bought out and all the good mechanics left, so I've lost my go-to shop for stuff like this.
Thanks
JS Kirwin

·
Registered
89 Posts
sounds higher than hell to me..i replaced the serp belt on my 07 Accord, same engine ibelieve,and it was super easy..maybe try an indy shop, plugs are cheap,not sure if valve adj is super critical..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems crazy to me too.
Just called another dealership. Got it down to $700.
Problem is there aren't many around these parts and I'll have to drive twice the distance. Still I'll do it to save $400.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
B14, oil+filter, tire rotate, spark plugs, inspect valve clearances.
I would carefully inspect that belt.
The owners manual says to adjust valves if needed (they'll make noise), but many recommend just doing it at this mileage. That's the pricey item.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had 2 Honda's with 4-cyl engines' granted f-series. One had 280000 miles, one has 157000 miles. Neither has had valves adjusted. Not to say a valve adjustment might not improve performance after 280000 miles. However, after 100 K it's not likely to be critical. Remember, dealers are usually over priced. You might get the basics done and take it to a trustworthy Indy when you find one. As someone mentioned, the maintenance calls for valve clearance measurement. Adjustment is only done on valves that are out of specs. Most likely, if any are out, it wouldn't be all of them, and perhaps just 1 or a few. The dealer is probably charging to adjust all of them. That would be like charging twice (or 16 times) for a water pump and timing belt( not in crv) when they are done together.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Valve service is almost all labor. IMO its well worth the expense.
You need to touch the spark plugs too. (A dealer will charge 75% more than an aftermarket shop for the same brand of Denso or NGK Iridium plugs.)

I've adjusted my valves every 50K miles, and several were out-of-spec each time (usually the exhausts).

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
Buff- Did you ever get noisy engine? I'm thinking I should go ahead and do this (at 110k). I'm usually good at complex procedures, it's the simple stuff I frequently mess up badly. Any gotchyas doing this in the driveway?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
No valve noise. The exhaust valves were TIGHT. (Which means they stay quiet until they begin to burn & affect compression.)

No gotchas on valve adjustment, except I had difficulty removing the little coolant line on the tube to one side of the valve cover. You don't even need gaskets, Honda's machining is top-notch. Measure twice, adjust once.

Don't forget, you will need a few dabs of oil resistant RTV.

Reactions: udraft
1 - 8 of 8 Posts