Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 CR-V with automatic transmission. When it shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd gear around 15 mph, it consistently does an abrupt jerking motion. Is this a common problem with a solution? I just want to know what to expect and educate myself before I bring the car in somewhere.

It feels like it is doing the same thing at higher gear shifts, but it isn't very noticeable at higher speeds.

The car has about 105k miles on it and the only thing that has been done to the transmission is a recent fluid drain and fill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
May well be the fluid.

I have a 2010 CR-V with automatic transmission. When it shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd gear around 15 mph, it consistently does an abrupt jerking motion. Is this a common problem with a solution? I just want to know what to expect and educate myself before I bring the car in somewhere.

It feels like it is doing the same thing at higher gear shifts, but it isn't very noticeable at higher speeds.

The car has about 105k miles on it and the only thing that has been done to the transmission is a recent fluid drain and fill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That transmission came with Honda Z1 fluid. It is not good to 105K miles. And one drain and fill even with DW1 is not enough. If it did not get Honda DW1, whatever it is get it out with 3 drain and fills with a few miles between.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
yeap that should have been changed the first time like 70000 miles ago. And at minimum every 30000 after that.

Try as was said, drain and fill with dw1. But do it once, drive it about 10 miles around town making sure it goes through all gears come back and do it again. Do a total of 3x at least.

If that doesnt fix it chance are your transmission is toast due to overly excessive lack of maintaince.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The transmission fluid drain & fill was done at an oil change place and pretty sure they did not use the DW1, the receipt says PureGuard Global ATF. Obviously this was a mistake and I was ignorant. However, I've been noticing the gear shifts for a couple years now and I am not sure I can directly correlate it, but it was more noticeable recently.

I took in to a well-respected mechanic last week. When I rode with the technician to demonstrate the jerking motion, he thought it was very minor and not something too serious. He said he is not sure he would noticed it without me pointing it out. They said there were no codes present and found the pressure slightly elevated. They suggested to do a full transmission service (drain and fill automatic transmission twice, DW1 fluid, replace transmission filter), which they acknowledged may not fix the issue (and it hasn't). But they said apart from that, it would require a costly internal transmission repair to try and fix it, which they didn't recommend given how minor of a problem it is. The jerking really isn't that bad and I think once I started keying in on it, it seemed worse than it is. My wife who rides with me all the time has never commented on it.

They said the transmission is definitely not toast.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think your over analyzing it. I would find it more of an issue if I didnt feel the shift.

You may want to take it to a transmission shop that knows Honda transmissions and have them check it. it could simply be a solenoid that's allowing pressure to build slightly too much before it engages a shift.

Even a throttle posistion sensor wearing out can cause odd shifts. computer monitors engine to help determine shift points and pressures.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts