Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have a 2010 CR-V. I have never had any trouble with putting tires on my car, and the ones I have now are great. What I've run into recently is severe corrosion on the inside bead of the rim (where the tire contacts the rim). It has given me a slow leak in one tire, but I know it's there on the other wheels. I have the aluminum rims like the ones seem below. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do about it?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
This is a common issue on many aluminum rims, from almost all manufacturers.

First see if the retailer you sourced for tires will fix it. You didn't pay to have tires that need airing-up every week! Some will sand down the corrosion along the tire bead, some will apply a sealer.

Don't overlook the contact area of the tire valve, we had a leak due to corrosion at that area on one of our cars.

If it has been a few years since you bought tires (and the tire dealer won't fix yours) you could 'break' the bead yourself and sand the aluminum. Then re-inflate. If you are careful not to disturb the positioning between wheel & tire, they would not need any rebalancing.

The final most expensive remedy would be to have your wheels restored and refinished by a professional service. There are folks that do this in most major metropolitan areas. I have used Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA, to restore alloys on our sports cars (some of which had deep gashes in them).

Refinished / Used Factory Alloy Wheels Sales & Repair - Wheel Collision Center

·
Registered
2011 (but New-to-Me in 2020) EX 4WD
13 Posts
Don't overlook the contact area of the tire valve, we had a leak due to corrosion at that area on one of our cars.
Hey carbuff2. I believe I have that very issue with my '11 EX 4WD. I have to fill one tire every four days. I finally pulled it off and verified the leak was coming from the cavity between the rim and the stem using water. I've only had the car for a month, but the previous owner passed along receipts from service performed and I saw that the TPMS sensor on that wheel was replaced in January by a dealer on the other side of the state; he told me about that but didn't mention the recurring problem.
So, what did you do about yours? To me, it sounds like I may also have corrosion (as evidenced on other parts of the rim) or the valve stem may not have been installed properly. Either way, I'm tired.
(Please excuse the pun!)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The inside lip of the wheel where the tire bead seals, is corroding. There is nothing inherently faulty with the wheels, it is the result of the snow/ice melt chemicals used on the roads in the winter reacting with the aluminum.
As CB2 suggested the only permanent fixes are wheel restoration (pricey) or removing the corrosion and sealing the bead seating area if the wheel isn't in too bad of condition.
To prevent the issue, thoroughly clean your wheels when washing your car. I have a winter time habit of running my vehicles through a car wash as often as the weather allows to remove as much of the ice melt chemicals as possible. I will, once a month go to a self service car wash and flood the under body with the hot soapy wash to remove the chemical build up a drive through wash can not reach. In the spring when the snow and ice are gone for good, I will easily spend an hour at the car wash flooding all exterior areas of the vehicle, particularly under hood, the under body, and the transitions from the metal panels to the lower cladding.
It can be a lot of work to maintain the vehicles body/wheels in an attempt to slow or stop the spread of rust and corrosion.
Is it worth it? If you keep your vehicles for a relatively short term, don't worry about it, leave it to the next owner.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Reactions: Helodrvr1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts