Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a thread that has the exact same issue I'm encountering... here's the youtube video

2010 CR-V with strange intermittent chirp. I just replaced the tensioner, but no luck. Doesn't seem to be A/C (doesn't change when I cycle the air conditioning on and off), and power steering also seems ok. I'm afraid it's metal on metal and hoping it's not the water pump.

Thanks for your help!

·
1,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum! With a bright flashlight, observe the water pump pulley (and all other pulleys) to see if it is stopping when the chirping happens. Could be any component the belt operates. Also, check the belt for a worn spot. A qualified mechanic could use an automotive stethoscope to locate the sound. I took a medical stethoscope, removed the sound pad, and inserted a long, narrow, hollow stainless steel tube. Has worked great for many years. But you have to be very, very careful to NOT touch anything moving, to avoid injury, ridicule, and scorn. Let us know how this turns out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum! With a bright flashlight, observe the water pump pulley (and all other pulleys) to see if it is stopping when the chirping happens. Could be any component the belt operates. Also, check the belt for a worn spot. A qualified mechanic could use an automotive stethoscope to locate the sound. I took a medical stethoscope, removed the sound pad, and inserted a long, narrow, hollow stainless steel tube. Has worked great for many years. But you have to be very, very careful to NOT touch anything moving, to avoid injury, ridicule, and scorn. Let us know how this turns out.
Thank you! I'll do some more investigating

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I found a thread that has the exact same issue I'm encountering... here's the youtube video

2010 CR-V with strange intermittent chirp. I just replaced the tensioner, but no luck. Doesn't seem to be A/C (doesn't change when I cycle the air conditioning on and off), and power steering also seems ok. I'm afraid it's metal on metal and hoping it's not the water pump.

Thanks for your help!
Sure sounds like a dry shaft. How many miles? Harbor Freight offers a stethoscope for $5!
1580149129164.png

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
That sounds like bearing failure--I'm betting the idler on the tensioner is worn. It's cheap. Replace it! Buy a name brand replacement that has a bearing made by a well-known manufacturer (NSK, NTN, SKF, etc., not any Chinesium-made trash that will fail after six months). You'll have to remove the entire tensioner since the bolt that holds on the idler has a nut on the back to hold it in place, and that nut will fall off when you remove the bolt--it's impossible to get it back in there since there isn't room to get behind it. Crack it loose while it's still on the engine, though. The tensioner comes out with only two or three bolts. Simple job!

If you do this yourself? Easiest way is to use a floor jack and a piece of wood to support the engine on the oil pan, remove that side engine mount, then you have all sorts of room to remove the belt and replace the tensioner. Don't waste time trying to do it without removing the mount--I can have it out in five minutes. Save the aggravation and time. (Wish I had done video of my work this past summer.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure sounds like a dry shaft. How many miles? Harbor Freight offers a stethoscope for $5!
View attachment 137396
Thanks for the post about the stethoscope. I'll have to get one... When you say "dry shaft", you mean the bearings are shot? Is there a temporary remedy to keep me from breaking down for a few weeks. Can't get the CR-V into a shop right away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Wildcat for the response. I actually just changed the whole tensioner assembly yesterday. I initially thought that was the problem... no luck

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks Wildcat for the response. I actually just changed the whole tensioner assembly yesterday. I initially thought that was the problem... no luck
I would change the coolant. It's lubrication for the water pump may be depleted. Us ONLY Honda brand fluid. Drain it, refill and drive, 2 more times.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Still sounds like a bearing problem. So that could mean the water pump, alternator or power steering pump. (My guess would be the water pump.) I would look into the stethoscope before throwing more money at the problem. The water pump is very easy to replace if that's the issue.

My tensioner was not the source of the noise issue I was having, but it was freewheeling when I spun it, which is not normal for a bearing--it should have some smooth resistance to it (due to the grease packing in the bearing, and the rubber seals). So it was just a matter of not much time before it would have failed anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts