Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to replace my tranny fluid. I'm guessing that its the first time it will be done (original owners are deceased and the heirs dont have the records).

Will also do my diff fluid but thats another topic (not sure whether to get DPF, DPSF etc).

In reading online, it seems like people do it very frequently on this particular tranny, in some cases with every oil change.

I also found different recommendations based on experience.

Some prefer the ATF-Z1, others the DW-1, while others like Amsoil or Valvoline Max Life.

Has there been a consensus in the past 9 years?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Honda DW-1 automatic transmission fluid is the replacement for ATF-Z1.

DPSF is the fluid for Acura rear differentials, and is not intended for the Honda CR-V.

Honda Dual Pump Fluid II is what you need to use in the rear differential of your CR-V.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Only Honda DW-1; Z-1 is no longer made.

Some swear other tranny oils will not cause damage, but I tend to never trust anything a manufacturer does not recommend. DW-1 is not that expensive, especially when purchased in bulk like I did the last time I ordered a case from an online dealer. (I had many other parts ordered, so the additional shipping cost was spread across many items.) The proper fluid is cheap; a new transmission is not.

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
99 Posts
To give a different perspective. I've been using Valvoline Maxlife on my tranny for the last 30k+ miles, no issue. 2008 honda crv ex-l currently have 132k+ miles. Shift is firm and crisp. My replacement internal is 20k, since its affordable and readily available at Walmart.
Make sure you replace the transmission filter as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honda DW-1 automatic transmission fluid is the replacement for ATF-Z1.

DPSF is the fluid for Acura rear differentials, and is not intended for the Honda CR-V.

Honda Dual Pump Fluid II is what you need to use in the rear differential of your CR-V.
100% correct!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To give a different perspective. I've been using Valvoline Maxlife on my tranny for the last 30k+ miles, no issue. 2008 honda crv ex-l currently have 132k+ miles. Shift is firm and crisp. My replacement internal is 20k, since its affordable and readily available at Walmart.
Make sure you replace the transmission filter as well.
Does the 2010 have a tranny filter?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Does the 2010 have a tranny filter?
The only real filter is internal, so, no. (Some CR-Vs had a small external filter that captured some stray metallic particles, but I don't know if those were in the third gen, and I'm not at a computer to check this.) Regular DW-1 drain-and-fills are plenty good enough.

Reactions: 8dragon
1 - 8 of 8 Posts