Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy to report to everyone that I detailed my 2010 Urban Titanium Metallic CRV today. Took me 6.5 hrs, but I intentionally took my sweet time, since it's my first full detail experience. I washed it in the basement parking of a friend's building so no fear of the sun.

1. Vacuumed interior; brush-scrubbed rubber mats and hung them to drip-dry; using Meguiar's Supreme Shine Protectant, detailed all interior vinyl surfaces (dashboard, trays, door trims, thresholds, etc); using damp Microfiber cloth (the 80/20 kind), cleaned all interior glass, no Windex, no chemicals, just plain water. No streaks whatsoever, looks like there's no glass there :)

2. Wet/saturate exterior with water to soften any dust/dirt (according to Mike Phillips' video, wet it like it's been raining for three days :) ; then washed wheels and tires using Mr. Clean Auto-Dry Soap (discontinued!) and a half bucket of water.

3. Starting from the top, using Mr. Clean Auto-Dry Car Wash System with Simoniz Genuine Sheepskin Wash Mitt, washed entire upper section of car, then used a common synthetic wash mitt for all lower black plastic areas. Soap it per area then rinse mitt in a clean bucket of water (that Mike Phillips video is tops! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372#)

4. I was supposed to hand-dry it, but went on instead with the Mr. Clean Auto-Dry System to 'dry' the car (using its de-ionized water, you know the drill); just for the feel of it, microfiber dry-toweled it.

5. First time to use claying system: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit, comes with two clay bars. Kneaded just one, and with the Quik Detailer proceeded to clay the car - first the hood, then the roof, then went around the car. Can't believe the shine and the smoothness afterwards. The online video of Mike Phillips helped a lot, especially the rub test - no sandy feel or sound after claying. I'm hooked! Since claying is about twice a year, spray the clay with the QD before storing it in its plastic case, just to keep it lubricated for the next time.

6. My arms are giving out, but I'm not done yet. Next to the last step is waxing - Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. Using its round sponge applicator, waxed one area at a time: first the hood (I have to see the effect first before proceeding), and all I can say is "Wow!" And here I thought my new CRV was already at its shiniest. I don't have a before-after picture, but the brand-spanking-new-from-the-dealer-finish was dull compared to now! Went on with the bumper and front fenders, then the roof, Right front passenger door, left back door, rear, right back door, driver's door, in that order. After I waxed two doors, I go back to the first one to wipe it off, so the wax is still easy to wipe off at that stage. If you wait too long, it becomes a little more difficult, you'd need more elbow grease.

7. I couldn't take my eyes off the car now, but I have to do one last thing, Tire Black the tires, using a regular rectangular kitchen sponge, spray on the sponge and wipe on. The straight edge of the sponge makes it easy to wipe the tires right along the edge of the wheel rim.

I hope I covered all the steps. BTW, have lots of microfiber towels handy, clean ones of course. The Wal-Mart six-packs are great, used two for drying, 1 damp for the glass and followed up by 1 dry one, 1 for the interior Protectant, and the supplied Supreme Shine microfiber for the claying part. Tired but fulfilled...

And of course, since I'm in Vancouver, it's going to rain on Wednesday...:eek: But that'll give me a glimpse of how good the wax is, always look at the bright side :)

I'm going to sleep now...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I don't have "before" pics, but I got these "after" ones.

Nice showroom reflection :)

Absolutely no swirls!

All in all, a very nice job...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts