Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a rack system for my 2010 CRV for my canoes and bikes. I liked the Yakima Control Tower system even though I have had 2 Thule racks before. I purchased the Yakima Control tower system with Landing Pads 10 and 58" bars. Yakima does not have the 2010 infor yet on their website fit listings. Everything worked fine. The rack goes on and off in a couple of minutes at most. With the rack off, the landing pad covers go on to make the landing pads look like part of the vehicle. The rack made a fairly loud rumble noise above 55 mph. I added the Yakima Windjammer with it angled down at 5 o'clock. I drove up to 70 mph without the noise. To help installation, I went to the hardware store and bought a nut of the correct size for the CRV studs. I then could remove the factory paint with the nut and a rachet wench from the studs before mounting the landing pads. I like this system much better than the Thule system I had on my Toyota Highlander. The Yakima Control Towers are really a slick design. I like only having the rack on when I need it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
did u strip the paint all the way down? I did it for one side then got fed up and just manually strip it using the special nut and the allen wrench. I didn't get down too far with the other ones but i was impatient. still pretty sturdy though and when you put the landing pads in, the plastic mold gives it a couple of inches in height so you don't need to strip the paint all the way down. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stripping paint of CR-V studs for Yakima rack

Hi

I also have a Yakima roof rack system for my kayaks. I used it on my Subaru before I got the CR-V.

I ordered Landing Pads #10 and found it extremely difficult to get Yakima's tube shaped nuts to fit on the CR-V studs. I went to Honda and they suggested I remove the paint before trying to screw on the nuts. Can you say a bit more how you succeeded in removing the paint? I tried a small wire brush but that doesn't do much. Also a goo remover didn't help. Did you just buy an 8mm nut and force it down?

Looking forward to your comments.

Hggroen

I needed a rack system for my 2010 CRV for my canoes and bikes. I liked the Yakima Control Tower system even though I have had 2 Thule racks before. I purchased the Yakima Control tower system with Landing Pads 10 and 58" bars. Yakima does not have the 2010 infor yet on their website fit listings. Everything worked fine. The rack goes on and off in a couple of minutes at most. With the rack off, the landing pad covers go on to make the landing pads look like part of the vehicle. The rack made a fairly loud rumble noise above 55 mph. I added the Yakima Windjammer with it angled down at 5 o'clock. I drove up to 70 mph without the noise. To help installation, I went to the hardware store and bought a nut of the correct size for the CRV studs. I then could remove the factory paint with the nut and a rachet wench from the studs before mounting the landing pads. I like this system much better than the Thule system I had on my Toyota Highlander. The Yakima Control Towers are really a slick design. I like only having the rack on when I need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts