1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Has anyone had this issue on a crv?
- AC works great when temperatures outside are not too high( ex, up 25’C
Asap the temperature goes above 25 -30 or higher, - the AC works for the about 15 mins and then stops!
If car cools down, ex in a closed garage etc- it starts working again!
- Have been to Honda dealer , they replaced a relay and added freon , but issues started again as the weather gets hotter!
Any idea/tips will help!
Thanks in advance, Nik

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What @marty1 says. I've had two of the A/C compressor clutches failing on our '09s. It's a known issue that they go bad. I had the entire compressor replaced in both of them--it's nearly the same amount of labor, and who knows if the compressor itself won't go bad a few months down the road?

I took the safer way out, had the compressors replaced, and the entire systems were checked for leaks. Nice and cold now! In the US, getting a new compressor clutch at a Honda dealer is very expensive anyways--if you were to get a new compressor installed, the clutch is an added extra cost on top of it! I went with remanufactured Honda compressors on both of ours, which include the A/C clutch, and the cost was considerably less. They come with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, good at any Honda dealer in the country.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It couldn’t be a fan issue or a temp sensor as the problem occurs only when too hot outside ?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Heat is the enemy of mechanical and electrical parts, and a part being intermittent when hot is not uncommon. Beyond that, it's hard to guess at what is wrong without engaging in troubleshooting, one piece at a time.

·
1,966 Posts
My first guess would be that you are again low on refrigerant, which means you likely have a slight to moderate leak. These systems only hold about 1.08 pounds of gas, which is a relatively small amount, so it does not have to lose much to be low. Mine did this when I first got it. A full evacuation, leak check, and re-charge brought it back to full function. No leak was apparent, so I suspect just eleven years of minute seeping. Now, a year and a half later, it is still at full, freezing function, and I live in a hot climate. I've had no relay issues. but you could have a bad one. Should be able to check it or just replace it and see if it solves the issue. Relays are cheap. If not, Check the charge. A dye charge is available which makes leak detection easier.

My '07 still has the OE compressor and clutch, and neither has ever yet hiccupped (93k miles now). Sometimes, though, if the clutch gets loose, removing one plate spacer will fix it. Also, though, a worn clutch can indicate a lot of short-cycling, which is what happens when it gets low on gas. so a thorough leak test is important. The two most common leaks are usually either the fill valve, or the front seal in the compressor, though it could also be an o-ring at any hose or line connection point, especially at the manifold that connects the lines to the compressor. When a compressor is worn out, the first problem is usually the front seal leak. They sure don't make them like they used to. The old R-12 compressor on my F250 lasted 25 years before the front seal started leaking. The clutch, with one spacer removed, went the distance too. When I gave up on the seal, I replaced the entire system, using later model parts to switch to 134A. Still ice cold today. Cost: $2k. Worth every penny, here in Texas.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same issue as you, ac stops working when you really need it, had them replace ac clutch under extended warranty/ recall but did not fix the issue. From what ive read, the the fix is replacing the compressor along with the condenser. for me, i just go to passengers side front wheel to access the compressor and use a flat screwdriver to get it to move.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
No need to replace the condenser. That was only in the earlier 2nd gen CR-Vs (2003 and 2004, I believe?) when the compressor would essentially shred itself and blow shards throughout the entire AC system. Those types of failures are uncommon in later years. I did have both of our compressors replaced, as it is not that much more in labor to have them replaced and it ensures I have a fresh system for years to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts