Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, we took the wife's 2010 CRV into the dealership for the oil consumption test. This car has 81,000 miles on it NOW. It had been CONSISTENTLY consuming over a quart of 0W-20 a month, for probably 15,000 miles or so. The process (I thought) involved an oil change, then the mechanic plugging of the drain/fill caps to maintain level accuracy (this is what I'd read as a lurker on this forum). The dealer did an ordinary oil change (no secured plugs or oil fill cap), & said to return in a thousand miles.

We have always used the local Valvoline quick change shop for oil changes every 6-8,000 miles, so this maintenance has always been professionally performed, since we bought this car USED, from a dealer, at about 20,000 miles ago.

Before they did the oil change, I asked the guy at the desk "Out of a thousand of these tests, how many fail?". He said "FIVE". The wife & I looked at each other & smirked, knowing this one would fail.

I had previously asked the guy at Valvoline "How many of these CRV's pull in here with DRY DIPSTICKS?". He said "EVERY ONE". Revealing, I thought.

So a thousand miles have now passed, which is when they want us to return the car to see how much oil has been consumed. Lo and behold, the dipstick indicates NORMAL (HALFWAY between the HI & LOW holes). THIS IS THE VERY FIRST TIME IN 15,000 MILES THAT THIS CAR HAD NORMAL OIL LEVELS AFTER 1,000 MILES.

The wife & I are in stunned shock. This car required a quart every 900 miles or so, for months & months. Now the problem is suddenly gone.

Problems like this just don't go away on their own. I cannot help but wonder what the dealer did that ALL OF A SUDDEN, minimized oil loss. Immediately after the oil change, the dipstick showed the engine had been filled to the top dot on the dipstick. I can't help but wonder...what are the chances that they may have used a HEAVIER weight oil, or used some other trick, to keep from having to repair our engine? Or, do I suspect VALVOLINE possibly using questionable oils?? We are puzzled. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Interesting, very interesting...

About a month ago, we took the wife's 2010 CRV into the dealership for the oil consumption test. This car has 81,000 miles on it NOW. It had been CONSISTENTLY consuming over a quart of 0W-20 a month, for probably 15,000 miles or so. The process (I thought) involved an oil change, then the mechanic plugging of the drain/fill caps to maintain level accuracy (this is what I'd read as a lurker on this forum). The dealer did an ordinary oil change (no secured plugs or oil fill cap), & said to return in a thousand miles.

We have always used the local Valvoline quick change shop for oil changes every 6-8,000 miles, so this maintenance has always been professionally performed, since we bought this car USED, from a dealer, at about 20,000 miles ago.

Before they did the oil change, I asked the guy at the desk "Out of a thousand of these tests, how many fail?". He said "FIVE". The wife & I looked at each other & smirked, knowing this one would fail.

I had previously asked the guy at Valvoline "How many of these CRV's pull in here with DRY DIPSTICKS?". He said "EVERY ONE". Revealing, I thought.

So a thousand miles have now passed, which is when they want us to return the car to see how much oil has been consumed. Lo and behold, the dipstick indicates NORMAL (HALFWAY between the HI & LOW holes). THIS IS THE VERY FIRST TIME IN 15,000 MILES THAT THIS CAR HAD NORMAL OIL LEVELS AFTER 1,000 MILES.

The wife & I are in stunned shock. This car required a quart every 900 miles or so, for months & months. Now the problem is suddenly gone.

Problems like this just don't go away on their own. I cannot help but wonder what the dealer did that ALL OF A SUDDEN, minimized oil loss. Immediately after the oil change, the dipstick showed the engine had been filled to the top dot on the dipstick. I can't help but wonder...what are the chances that they may have used a HEAVIER weight oil, or used some other trick, to keep from having to repair our engine? Or, do I suspect VALVOLINE possibly using questionable oils?? We are puzzled. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
My wife's '07 LX had not used any oil until around 90k. I check it and my '10 shortly after oil changes but rarely before the next because they never get below the top hole. I get them changed at 15%. The dealer over fills them 1/16 to 1/8 inch and they never get below the top hole.

She was going on a few hundred mile trip, the MM around 50%, and I checked it just in case. To my amazement it was down about 3/4 to the bottom hole - almost a quart in around 4k miles. It was late and she was leaving early so the only oil I could find in a convenience store was Mobil1 full synthetic. Filled it just above the top hole and her trip was uneventful.

When she got back I took a 5-quart jug of Mobil1 full synthetic from Walmart and had the dealer change it and it has not used any since.

My guess as to what happened is the dealer had been using his bulk oil and it is garbage allowing the rings to get sticky which is what happens to the '10's causing the terrible oil consumption.

I doubt your dealer used a heavier oil but I do wonder if he ran some Marvel Mystery Oil or some other cleaner, and used some good oil when he did your oil change. My take is you may well be just fine.

Next change though I would suggest you get your own 5-quart jug of Mobil1 0W20 oil at Walmart for around $26, use that, and a Honda filter. When you get home park level, let it cool a minute or so, and check the level so you know exactly where it is and check it regularly.

As I read the rules, if your car fails the test the change is free, but if it does not fail you have to pay for it.

I buy Mobil1 at Walmart, Honda filters, the A01's, with crush washers online and my dealer does the dirty work for $13!

I had very bad experience with Jiffy Lube and Valvoline quicky change places and will never use any of them again.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
This sure sounds like an oil brand makes a difference story to me too. Both my Honda's use Mobil 1. Have since we got them and will for the foreseeable future too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my pistons and according to Honda not enough cars to consider a recall and once they fixed that issue then I had no more issues. I have a an open case with them to reimburse me for all the extra oil changes and oil I had to purchase to fill-up, I would have changed oil and within two months had to add oil and my car is a 2010. I have not heard a word back from them yet after sending in receipts. Now I also have a loud grinding noise when starting my car so they say a cold start-up issue and from what I've read lots of Honda models have same issue. This is now the 3rd issue where have had to contact Honda because for a car under 70,000 miles when all issues and still under 100,000 way too many issues and for a hefty bill to fix a noise clearly all Honda's make lol sounds like another recall. This is not my first Honda, but it may very well be my last!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts