Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2010 CRV EX-L with 156K on it. It has the original shocks on it and they are overdue for replacement. I've used only OEM parts so far but with the mileage, I really don't want to spend the extra money if I don't have to on higher ticket items like these.

Even with a discount, the OEM shock assemblies are around $300 each.

I'd like some suggestions as to some quality after-market shock assemblies. I took a quick look on Rock Auto and Monroe's are about $122 for each front. That is a dramatic savings vs. OEM.

Let me know your thoughts based on what you may have used on your CRV.

Thank you!
John

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have replaced shocks (struts) on a couple Accords and CR-V's all with nearly 200k miles. Each one, had decent life shock life remaining. It's a stunning fact that I still find hard to believe. So first, make sure you really fail the "bounce test" and the floaty ride bothers you.

Then consider how far the OEM units brought you and how long you plan to keep the car. One more OEM set will get you to over 300,000 miles. Aftermarket...I have never had any get past 80k without issue. Not even higher end Bilsteins and adjustable Rancho's (on trucks and SUV's). Monroe and KYB's are the worst IMO.

I also like that Honda's units come fully assembled, with a new spring, ready to install. That's worth something right there cause I really hate messing with automotive coil springs.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Monroe quickstruts have a 'meh' reputation over more than one brand. Don't last long, inadequate control, etc

KYBs are better (if available). Bilstein and Sachs are expensive but a little cheaper than OEM.

I agree with Rincon, if your V passes the 'bounce test' and you don't have any verified noises from your existing struts, let it be.

Our '06 has 180K and the struts are fine (but I'm looking at replacing the lower control arms because the rubber bushings have perished).

:temptation:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am going to disagree with both previous posters, even though they have more time here than I do, however Ive been tuning cars for over 20 years and have on many different platforms.

I will say this, if you are driving in the car and you can notice the handling has changed for the worse and you dont feel comfortable in the handling abilities if you had to serve to avoid an accident, then replace the struts and anything else that needs to be replaced with it. I have the original struts on my 2010 with 103K and the roads that I have to drive on to my office are terrible and beat up the passenger side suspension. One day when I was driving home another driver came over into my lane at the last second and I had to hit the brakes pretty hard and I felt the rear end get light. I know that my rear struts are leaking and the front are still dry, for now.

Now I say all that to say this, my car DOES pass the bounce test. At the point of your suspension failing the bounce test the suspension is completely shot and its dangerous to be driving. You replace the suspension when you feel that you need to in order to be safe on the road. I am going to be replacing my suspension this weekend.

I also look at it this way, since I drive my 3 kids in my CRV, what is their(and my life when driving alone) worth? Is it worth about $1K to commute safely? To me it is, so I am more than happy to spend the money to be able to come home everyday.

If you really want to see it in action(they even use a 3rd gen CR-V), watch this from KYB: Watch Me

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
As an option you could replace the shock units only for considerably less money, though the job does require disassembling the units. It's not really that hard. You could even take the stuff to a shop and have them do the assembly. Here in Austin there is a shop that specializes in this and does a booming business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts