Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 CRV has made a sound like you hit a piece of metal with a hammer immediately after releasing the ignition key after starting. The car has 15000 miles on it and it has only happened on a cold start. Has anyone else ever seen this problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
clunking...

I got the same on a 2010 manufactured in Japan. It is really on and off. I thought that may be I was releasing the key too soon (when starting the engine from cold), but no, even when I hold it a few 10th of a second longer still does it now and then.

It feels as if fuel in the cylinders ignites prematurely, while the piston is going up but most likely is just the motor still too tight. I really didn't try it, but if that's the case, higher octane gasoline should solve it. I use 89 octane, and have about 9K miles in the odometer, and don't like the metallic clunking any more than you do, but I bet it will eventually go away with more miles driven.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My '07 and '10 do the same thing and it is REALLY loud if a door is open.

I got the same on a 2010 manufactured in Japan. It is really on and off. I thought that may be I was releasing the key too soon (when starting the engine from cold), but no, even when I hold it a few 10th of a second longer still does it now and then.

It feels as if fuel in the cylinders ignites prematurely, while the piston is going up but most likely is just the motor still too tight. I really didn't try it, but if that's the case, higher octane gasoline should solve it. I use 89 octane, and have about 9K miles in the odometer, and don't like the metallic clunking any more than you do, but I bet it will eventually go away with more miles driven.
Sounds like a hammer hitting the engine. In my case it is the AC clutch engaging.

Try turning off the AC to see if it stops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2010 CRV has made a sound like you hit a piece of metal with a hammer immediately after releasing the ignition key after starting. The car has 15000 miles on it and it has only happened on a cold start. Has anyone else ever seen this problem?
I have this exact problem. It was making this metallic vibrating sound every time I started the car and while I was accelerating. It was quite loud on ignition. The mechanic welded the exhaust hanger back on and did flange repair for rear muffler and it went away for a short time. Then it resurfaced but only when starting up the car cold. They said I needed a new starter. $1000 later it still does it every few days only when starting cold. I thought it might be connected to the AC being on at ignition but I’ve proven that wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts