Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2010 CRV EX has about 112,000 miles on her. She's been super dependable, but definitely not new. I'm no mechanic, but I can do some of the normal maintenance myself.

My dealer tried to charge me about $1,000 to fix an intermittent A/C problem I was having during the late winter/early spring. I changed the relay for $5 and it's worked great ever since. He also suggested to change the spark plugs among a few other things. I know the plugs are over do for changing, but the car doesn't seem to show any signs that they need changing. With that said, I do realize that he is probably right.

I have a few questions:
1. How long can the plugs last? I'd rather not change the plugs if I don't have to and trust the people here more than my dealer.
2. I think I'm going to go with Denso SXU22HCR11S plugs only because they are about $4.00 cheaper than the NGK plugs and seem to be recommended just as often. Do these plugs need anti seize?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,640 Posts
Spark Plugs are good preventative maintenance. You could pull them out and inspect and (carefully) gap them. But why go through the motions and not replace? (I assume the Denso you reference is Iridium, as are the OEM plugs)

Wide plug gaps can stress the coil-packs, and create the potential for misfires, and that can shorten the life of your catalytic converter.

It's said that today's new plugs have a coating on the threads that makes anti-seize unnecessary. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to apply some, especially if you re-install the old plugs.

Other routine maintenance that comes due around the 100K mark are a valve clearance adjustment, coolant change, and brake fluid change.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Spark plugs are indeed an maintenance item, and you should know the condition of them. Like brake pads, it's good to know.

Having said that, the modern NGK or Denso iridium plugs will last a fantastically long time. I've got 250 000 km on the original factory plugs and they still look great, meaning few deposits, clean electrodes, and gap on spec.

But I pull the plugs about every 50 000 km just to make sure, and this means they never get seized in the head as they are removed once in a while.

Oil burning or coolant leaks will show on the electrodes, so you'll get a read on engine condition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brake fluid should be done every 3 years, regardless of mileage

1 - 4 of 4 Posts