Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what is going on with my 2010 cr-v @ 129,000 miles. Love the car, The oil light came on turning a corner for a split second. I get to check level of oil nothing is on the dipstick. Purchased 0-20 oil I put in 3 quarts of oil. Honda usually does my changes. I have 60% and only 2,000 miles on the oil. I hear of a tech bulletin related to issues on this. Anybody have this problem looked at from Honda, OR do I just carry oil on me and add oil as needed. No leaks in garage or around the engine compartment. The exhaust looks normal. Not sure but the Honda is eating oil.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is too much consumption for an engine with 129,000 miles and regular oil changes. Was the oil at full when you last had it changed? Maybe the dealer messed up on the amount of oil they put in.

With no visible leaks, check your pcv valve for normal operation. The next step after that would be to do a compression test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda dealer stated I need to show oil changes and services and it is a known issue. They will repair pistons if I show I did not abuse it. Good faith warranty they said.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long are you going between oil changes. Any blue smoke? I am new here but just picked up an 09. Hope u get it squared away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No smoke was going by the oil life %. So the milage would very. Sound like they will fix it after turning in all my maintenance items.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
'09 is fine...

How long are you going between oil changes. Any blue smoke? I am new here but just picked up an 09. Hope u get it squared away.
The problem looks to me like the Major engine upgrade they did in '10. I traded an '09 for a '10 and regretted it ever since!

They redesigned the heads, bigger valves, higher compression ratio, 9.5 to 10.5, totally redesigned the intake and exhaust, all for a measly 14 HP, and, get this, Low Friction Piston Rings!

We knew in the '50's you cannot run 10.5 to 1 compression ratio on 87 octane gas. The '10 and '11's have this problem. For '12 they dropped it back to 10 so '12 and later might not have the problem, and well as '09 and earlier.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, this is a long shot, but I'll throw in my two cents...

Wondering if your car had 'high' oil consumption all along, and maybe the last time in for service...they didn't quite fill up the oil level...maybe it was end of day, Friday or the service tech was just in a pissy mood.

Isn't it an industry standard to say that 'all cars' consumer oil and that 1qt every 1000/1500 miles is normal??? (Personally, I don't believe it, BUT...) Let's assume worst case...

You state that it was about 2000 miles since you last service. Worst case, you CRV consumed 2qt of oil...leaving you with around 3 qts. With just 3qts, not sure it would show up on the dip stick. And for argument sake, let say the tech didn't quite fill it up. So, with those two combination of conditions...your oil light came on for the first time...but the problem may have been there all along or for a long time.

Anyway, just something to think about...and take a look at this...

http://artsautomotive.com/publications/2-explanatory/165-faq-whitepaper/

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer-reports-sees-oil-vanish-test-cars-140000066.html

Moral of the story...when it comes to your vehicle...trust no one and double check everything. Humans sometimes make mistakes and some are just idiots...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda dealer stated I need to show oil changes and services and it is a known issue. They will repair pistons if I show I did not abuse it. Good faith warranty they said.
My wifes CR-V has started doing the same thing. Just over 70,000 miles. regular oil changes and maintenance.
Who did you talk to and where did you find the info out about this being a known issue?
I would appreciate the information.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My '10 isn't doing this, YET...

I asked my Service Manager about it and all he would give is a knowing smile.

You have to go to a dealer, they will check the oil, fill it correctly, put on some sort of seal to prevent diddling, and you go back every 1,500 miles for them to check it. Honda will fix it (replace pistons and rings) IF it uses more than a quart in 1,500 miles. He talked like you have to go back more than once.

He talked like this is true of all Honda models still in original warranty, or HondaCare extended Service Contract.

My guess is they MAY extend the mileage for the '10's and 11's since there is a known problem with the piston rings on these models.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do a compression check. If they decide to replace parts of the engine, count yourself lucky. If they don't I would try some high milage oil and monitor. Don't wait till your oil light comes on. Try replacing the pcv. If that fails it could lead to oil consumption also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts