Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All I'm new to the forum, having just picked up a 2010 Royal Blue EX-L (without Navi). I am also the current owner of a 2003 Pilot a previous owner of a 2000 Dark Green CR-V SE.

When I was shopping for this car I considered the factory Navi system, but as a techie I didn't want to feel locked in to what might quickly become dated technology. (I work in the automotive industry developing telematics products, usually the state of the art).

I was originally considering installing a double-din Android- based navigation radio such as the Parrot Asteroid Smart or one of the cheepo chinese products for sale on Ebay, with a large touch screen and customizable apps. In the process of my research I stumbled across 2 types of direct-fit options. Both options are designed to fit in the dash in place of the original radio for a factory look. Below are 2 examples from Ebay

Windows CE based
http://android-caraudio.com/en/honda/77-autoradio-gps-dvd-pour-honda-crv-2006-2011.html

Android 4.0 based
Option1- newer version http://android-caraudio.com/en/100-...e-android-422-for-toyota-venza-2011-2013.html
Option 2- older version http://www.ebay.com/itm/181384473924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Have any of these radios been discussed on this forum? If so please provide links or feedback. Have you installed any of these radios yourself? What are some caveats?
I am an experienced electronics technician and I have installed dozens of car stereo and vehicle electronics, so in general I shouldn't have a problem installing any of these systems. I just hope they are of reasonable quality.

Jesse in Atlanta
2010 CR-V EXL in Royal Blue "TARDIS"
2003 Pilot In Evergreen Pearl "Olive-8"

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have not installed wither of these products, but you can search the entire forum using the search box at the top-right of the forum page.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I considered those too before I bought my OEM Nav, but if you look on YouTube, there are tons of complaints of those Chinese made units that don't last very long.

I guess you gotta ask yourself what you really want from these units. Other than being able to play DVD's while driving, there is a whole bunch of useless stuff that is offered. Like TV that doesn't really work, as you cannot get any signal here. Your also taking a chance with the GPS maps not working here. Also heard the sound sucks on these units, since they don't use great electronics in it.

I decided against it after doing a bit more research, and figured getting a name brand unit w/ backup camera would be better, but my needs may be different than yours. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I'm new to the forum recently i bought 2010 CRV , I'm suffering of the high fuel consumption , I wanna ask what the optimumn consumption km/leter for CRV of mine considering the distance the car has cut is almost 42000KM and Plugs being replaced as 4000KM

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Hi
I'm new to the forum recently i bought 2010 CRV , I'm suffering of the high fuel consumption , I wanna ask what the optimumn consumption km/leter for CRV of mine considering the distance the car has cut is almost 42000KM and Plugs being replaced as 4000KM
You won't find much of a response asking about fuel economy in the Mobile Electronics forum, you may want to repost in the "Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion" forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've been scouring the interwebs for any real reviews and have come up short, so I decided to purchase this Windows CE-based unit and a 3 year squaretrade warranty rather than investing more in the Android units.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Car-SUV-S...Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item258c1ace37

My wife really needs the backup camera feature, navigation and hands-free bluetooth and iPod interface, so hopefully this will be an improvement on the stock radio. I plan to write up an initial review after I install the unit and a comprehensive one a few weeks later that we can all benefit from.

Hopefully Squaretrade will live up to any claims I might have within those 3 years if the unit is as unreliable as some I've read for similar units.

Jesse in Atlanta

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.