Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked on an OEM supplier's website and it looks like the compressor is $534. The clutch is $200 (which is what's actually bad; tech said replace the whole thing while we're in there) but I don't know if that's separate if the compressor is purchased. Worse case, parts are around $750 brand new for OEM it looks like. The mechanic is good (he's done a lot of work for me) but his prices tend to be at the right-most edge of what's considered normal when I've researched past repairs. $1,500 seems really high based on my initial research. Plus, I LOVE my Honda, and have kept it really well maintained. BUT, it's got 150K miles, and a repair that costly gives me pause. It that reasonable? Would you personally spend $1,500 on an air conditioning repair with a 150K CR-V?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I checked on an OEM supplier's website and it looks like the compressor is $534. The clutch is $200 (which is what's actually bad; tech said replace the whole thing while we're in there) but I don't know if that's separate if the compressor is purchased. Worse case, parts are around $750 brand new for OEM it looks like. The mechanic is good (he's done a lot of work for me) but his prices tend to be at the right-most edge of what's considered normal when I've researched past repairs. $1,500 seems really high based on my initial research. Plus, I LOVE my Honda, and have kept it really well maintained. BUT, it's got 150K miles, and a repair that costly gives me pause. It that reasonable? Would you personally spend $1,500 on an air conditioning repair with a 150K CR-V?
A new compressor and clutch, sold separately get 1-year warranty from Honda. I bought a Honda remanufactured compressor which comes with a new clutch for less than a new compressor alone; AND, got a 3-year parts and labor warranty from Honda. Around $800 total.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Along with the labor to remove the old and install the new, there's labor time to evacuate the system, and then the cost of recharging the system (time and new coolant).

I did a websearch on the cost of replacing an A/C compressor and the prices range from US $800 to over US $2,500. One site asked for information about the vehicle so I plugged in a 2010 CR-V. It came back with a price of $1,336 broken down as $693 for labor, $586 for parts, and $57 tax.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thanks for the help. Which site did you use specifically? I'd like to be able to do my own research in the future instead of having to rely on others to do it for me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't remember the site that asked for the details.

I just started using Google with various combinations of Honda, A/C, replace, repair, CR-V, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts