Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I both own 2010 CRVs. When starting the cars occasionally the starter makes a noise like the starter is staying engaged after engine has started. It does not appear to be related to the outside temperature as it happens in winter and summer. It is not reproducible on demand so it is not something that I can just stop at the dealer and show to them.

Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
120 Posts
It’s weird that it’s happening on both V’s. No issue like that on mine. I’ve had non-starts on a few occasions but I think it didn’t let it crank enough or the fuel pump hadn’t kicked in yet.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Yes, I took car in to dealer in Queens about 4 months ago, but as you stated it is almost impossible to reproduce on demand. My wife noticed this after 4-5 months of ownership and I finally heard it as well, I thought it would go away but it didn't. Dealer stated that the Tech noticed nothing and so no action was taken. I talked over with a friend about the issue and he said it might be the solenoid in the starter staying open, this would mean that the starter might have to be replaced soon, but then again I am not sure since neither one of us is an experienced mechanic. The issue seems to have gone away but not sure for how long, thanks for posting, I thought it was just me, ciao.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My son and I both own 2010 CRVs. When starting the cars occasionally the starter makes a noise like the starter is staying engaged after engine has started. It does not appear to be related to the outside temperature as it happens in winter and summer. It is not reproducible on demand so it is not something that I can just stop at the dealer and show to them.

The dealer replaced starter motor in both CRVs under warranty.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you mean a slight short buzzing noise as you crank the key, that sounds like an electrical noise, I get it occasionally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same issues with my 2010 CRV EXL. Now it's getting cols out again and the noise is haoppening a couple times a day. Has anyoen had their starter replaced and the noise gone away. Looks like the starter is tucked in there pretty good probably not an inexpensive replacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am having the same issues with my 2010 CRV EXL. Now it's getting cols out again and the noise is haoppening a couple times a day. Has anyoen had their starter replaced and the noise gone away. Looks like the starter is tucked in there pretty good probably not an inexpensive replacement.
The retail price of the starter is around $800. Labor to replace it is likely to be well over $300 as it's a difficult job.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2010 CRV and it has just started doing the same thing ,high pitched scream when starting ,have you found out any more ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 CRV and this issue has come up several times in the three years I have owned. When I start it up, it has a "cranky" rattley noise, in addition to the regular starter sound, that rattley sound holds for a few seconds, and then it is gone. I have also taken it in to the dealer, especially during the time of warranty, twice, and they say they cannot reproduce sound, even when I left it overnight for them to do a cold start, because they claimed it could be related to the weather. It first happened only in chilly weather here in Florida. Then it happened at warmer times. It happens about once a month. It startles me, but nothing more than that so far. It seemed odd that they thought it could be related to cold starts in colder weather, like they were familiar with the problem, but then the tech could not reproduce the sound. Odd indeed.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,873 Posts
I have a 2014 CRV and this issue has come up several times in the three years I have owned. When I start it up, it has a "cranky" rattley noise, in addition to the regular starter sound, that rattley sound holds for a few seconds, and then it is gone. I have also taken it in to the dealer, especially during the time of warranty, twice, and they say they cannot reproduce sound, even when I left it overnight for them to do a cold start, because they claimed it could be related to the weather. It first happened only in chilly weather here in Florida. Then it happened at warmer times. It happens about once a month. It startles me, but nothing more than that so far. It seemed odd that they thought it could be related to cold starts in colder weather, like they were familiar with the problem, but then the tech could not reproduce the sound. Odd indeed.
Here is a thread about your issue.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13-dear-honda-feedback-forum/36273-2-4l-engine-noise-cold-start-up-crv-accord-132.html
Luckily it's not causing any harm to the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts