Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How long have you owned your 2010 CRV? Do you pull the dipstick and check the oil level regularly? Has it used excess oil in the past?

Excess Oil Usage: Any loss of oil before the required oil change, especially at or below the add mark. (in my opinion)

With the exception of free oil changes by the dealer (usually a total of 4 for purchase of new vehicle) I have always changed my own oil and use Mobil 1 and a Honda or equal oil filter. I always check my oil and other fluid levels at least once a week. I have owned numerous Honda vehicles beginning in 1995 and have never had to add oil to any of them. When the dealer has provided the 'free' oil changes I pull the dipstick at home after the engine has cooled, just to verify the the mechanic has filled it properly. It really is our responsibility as owners to check the vitals, i.e. tire pressure, fluid levels, and maintain the exterior and windows. Cheers!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Kurt,
Did you check the dipstick after the last oil change? Sometimes Dealers and oil change places screw up,
If so, and it went down a qt, something is wrong with the engine or there is a leak.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
This is a known issue and Honda...

Will there be a class action suit ?

has sent a letter to owners dated August 2015 stating warranty for pistons and piston rings for 2010 and certain 2011 CR-V's is extended to 8 years and 125,000 miles for excessive oil consumption.

It says, "If the vehicle is experiencing high oil consumption, contact any authorized Honda dealer for an appointment to have it inspected and, if needed, repaired. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for 2 full days to allow them flexibility in scheduling."

In my opinion, since this is a known problem, and if not manifest now it WILL, they should just fix it - which means replacing pistons and rings!

However, the dealer may have to jump through hoops to get Honda approval. In which case he may change the oil and seal the system to prevent tampering and give it back to you. You drive it a 1,000 miles and return for them to check the level. They then should fix it but may not if it has not used a quart or more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts