Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been checking the oil level on my 2011 CR-V, and I can’t seem to get a good reading. Whenever I check the dipstick (after wiping and reinserting), I only see a few smeared blotches of clean oil here and there. At first I figured I was burning oil like crazy, but now I’m wondering if I’m just not reading the dipstick correctly.

My last oil change was about 1 1/2 months ago at jiffy lube, and they stated the car was 1/2 quart low before the change.

I’m not noticing any puddles under the car, and it runs just fine besides a noticeable rough idle at times. Anyone know what could be happening?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
1/2qt between changes isnt bad at all. That's pretty normal. Engines dont have to leak to loose oil. Anytime they are running they will burn oil. Usually just very tiny amounts so by the time the next change is due your between 1/2 low and full.

Fyi your in the safe range at a 1/2 low. Once your at the bottom line then time to add, above that is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I sometimes have issues getting a clean reading from the dipsticks in our '09s, as though the dipstick rubs on something on the way out of the tube. On the other Hondas in the hooptie fleet here, I have no issues reading it.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I find getting a good oil level reading is easier if I leave the clean dipstick out for a minute or so, then re-insert/remove to check. Give it a try, see if it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2011 C-RV had a recall on the rings. You have to do an oil study at the dealer to validate how much oil is being burned/lost .... dealer changes your oil (for free) and you go back at about 1000 miles. If you are a quart low they rebuild your engine. I was around 3/4 quart low on the first 3 tests, but the 4th try I was a full quart low.
However I also had the same problem reading the dip stick, even before I started noticing excessive oil usage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
So I’ve been checking the oil level on my 2011 CR-V, and I can’t seem to get a good reading. Whenever I check the dipstick (after wiping and reinserting), I only see a few smeared blotches of clean oil here and there. At first I figured I was burning oil like crazy, but now I’m wondering if I’m just not reading the dipstick correctly.

My last oil change was about 1 1/2 months ago at jiffy lube, and they stated the car was 1/2 quart low before the change.

I’m not noticing any puddles under the car, and it runs just fine besides a noticeable rough idle at times. Anyone know what could be happening?
oil has a hard time sticking to the shiny Honda dipsticks. I take one side of the dipstick and either ccuff it with sandpaper or paint a few inches of it flat black on one side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 2011 too. Any car will be difficult to read after a fresh oil change due to the light color. However, after 1000 miles you should have no trouble.

I have no trouble....and at oil change time, my oil is right where I started.

Sent from my mobile device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 2011 C-RV had a recall on the rings. You have to do an oil study at the dealer to validate how much oil is being burned/lost .... dealer changes your oil (for free) and you go back at about 1000 miles. If you are a quart low they rebuild your engine. I was around 3/4 quart low on the first 3 tests, but the 4th try I was a full quart low.
However I also had the same problem reading the dip stick, even before I started noticing excessive oil usage.
I just looked up my VIN and it doesn’t show any pending recalls. I was a 1/2 quart low last oil change, and before that change, the dipstick reading seemed low too.

Do you think it would be safe to add my own oil to top off before my next change? I’d be using sae 0w-20 oil, but a different brand than what’s in there now

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
What does your Owners Manual say, regarding oil level? Our manual says between the min/max marks is good. However, there are those that say it’s industry standard that the oil level must absolutely positively be at the top mark.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
My 2014 Owners Manual says:

1. Remove the dipstick (orange handle).
2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or paper towel.
3. Insert the dipstick back all the way into its hole.
4. Remove the dipstick again, and check the level. It should be between the upper and lower marks. Add oil if necessary.

It also says that if the level in step 4 is at or below the lower mark then to add some oil by:

1. Unscrew and remove the engine oil fill cap.
2. Add oil slowly.
3. Reinstall the engine oil fill cap, and tighten it securely.
4. Wait for three minutes and recheck the engine oil dipstick.

·
Registered
2008 CRV, 2006 CRV and a 1996 CRV
17 Posts
does anyone know where I can get a longer dipstick? mine doesn't;t reach the oil! :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts

How many miles do you have on the car? My '07 has 93k on it. I've only changed the oil and filter once so far ( I got it a year ago with 92K on it). I keep the oil level at the full mark. Haven't lost a drop yet, so far. There's no reason the engine should burn any oil normally. But if an engine with 100k miles on it burns a half quart between changes, that is not a serious issue and just means the rings are wearing slightly. There has been a technical bulletin on 2010-2011 models for premature ring wear in some cars, but so far as I've read here it is pretty severe when it happens, so if you are only losing a half quart per oil change, I wouldn't worry about it. It won't hurt a thing to keep it topped up to the full mark between changes, and can give you peace of mind. I always keep a quart of oil in the car for this purpose if on a trip, but I have had no issues with the Honda. My big block F250, on the other hand, burns a quart fairly frequently at 145k miles, when I have it loaded heavy much, so I keep a closer eye on it, but this is normal for those engines.

The rough idle is likely unrelated to oil, but you might want to get it checked out. If it does turn into an issue, it should throw a code, which you can then troubleshoot. Run a search here for rough idle, and see what you can learn there. You might need a valve adjustment, or it could be the idle solenoid, or the A/C compressor, etc., or any number of other things.

As far as the dipstick goes, you do need good lighting, especially with fresh oil and these new lighter oils. Bright sunlight, or if needed, a flashlight. Always pull the stick out and wipe clean, then reinsert. Let it sit for a moment, then pull straight out, slowly, and check. You might have to do this two or three times to get a clear indication. If I have to add oil, I do that, then reinsert and recheck after allowing a minute for the new oil to flow down to the pan.

·
Registered
90 Posts

**2018 CRV EX-L with NAV. I wait five minutes after turning the engine off before checking the oil to give time for most of the oil to drain back into the oil pan, Some people wait as long as 30 minutes but most people are impatient. Check the user's manual recommendation. I used to check the oil the first thing in the morning before starting the engine so that all of the oil had drained back into the oil pan; however, one report has said that because most car owners don't check their oil the first thing in the morning some car manufacturers have recalibrated their dipstick markings to match the expected levels when checking the oil while it is warm.

To give yourself a measuring comparison, the next time you have an oil change check the oil the first thing the next morning before starting the engine & check it against waiting 5 minutes after turning the engine off to see how they compare.

My CRV has a plastic orange tip on the dipstick & it is the hardest thing I have ever seen to read accurately. Checking the dipstick reading is almost impossible with new oil since the synthetic oil is so light in color and it is better but not a lot better after some wear on the oil because the oil has a darker color. Cross hatched metal dipsticks I have had in the past were much easier to read so improvements/ advancements are not always the best thing for the task at hand.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I did an oil/filter change on our V this past Sunday. Motor had been off approx. 5-6 hours so only slightly warm when removing the plug and filter. Installed the plug and new filter. Carefully measured/added a total of 3.7 quarts (I fill the filter prior to installing). Started motor, let it run a couple of minutes, checked for leaks, shut motor off, checked dipstick, blah, blah, blah.

Next morning, motor stone cold (off approx. 15 hours), checked oil level. Cold oil level was dead on the top mark of the orange monster.(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: Oil pressure light turned on for about 2 seconds on my way to the dealership yesterday. They’re doing an oil consumption test to see if I need new rings

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Ouch! Well, please keep us posted on how that goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts