Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to get better tires for winter. I'm in Denver, CO; driving is 70% hwy / 30% city. My CR-V is a 4cyl AWD, but I'm going for overdoing the tire safety choices. Currently I have Kumho Solus, so I'll need to change them anyway. Any recommendations for or against the Goodyear's TripleTread? Seems to be exactly what I should put on the CR-V...short of season specific, studded snow tires (I'm uber paranoid about driving around town during the winter.)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I would suggest stay away from Goodyear triple thread they are not the best ones for winter driving. I know 2 people have them on their vehicles, they wear down prematurely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The best way to tackle this problem is to have dedicated winter tires

not all seasons

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you don't want to get dedicated snow tires, here's a great option. Can you get Nokian tires where you are? Have a look at their 'All Weather' models. WG2 or WG3. (Not All Seasons)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any tire suggestion thread is going to give you a million different opinions ;-) I'll throw in mine as I have also decided to go with an all-season tire this year in VT - General Altimax RT43. They get excellent reviews online and winter performance is very good for the all season category. We just got some of the first snow recently, and while it wasn't really enough to thoroughly find their limits, my initial impression is that they hold up to their review results. Bonus points for 75k warranty and also being significantly less expensive than much of the competition.

Edit - forgot to add that the Altimax RT43's are M+S rated, many all seasons are not.

The General AltiMAX RT43 is the all-around winner of this group, trading only a slight penalty in outright ride comfort for much better handling and class-leading traction in the wet and winter conditions. The Yokohama AVID Ascend takes a different tact, focusing on a smooth and quiet ride, but falls somewhat short on wet snow traction. The Goodyear Assurance All-Season performs adequately in dry and winter conditions, but lacks the wet grip to come close to the other tires in the test. Rounding out the group is the Firestone FR710, which proved adequate on the road and in dry/wet conditions, but falls well short of the others in the snow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just a note on the first really nasty storm of the season up here, 6-7 inches of snow + sleet & freezing rain this AM. Left for work before the plows were out and I am officially impressed with these RT43's! For all-season tires these things were awesome and combined with the V's awd capabilities I had zero problems. Now if they last close to the 75k they're rated at (and so far wear looks great) this tire is a real winner, especially at their price point which is much less than much of the competition. I'll keep the dedicated winter Altimax Arctics on the Pilot we use for backroad hiking and snowshoeing, but for getting through town to work the RT43's seem to be more than adequate.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm just up the road from you in Cheyenne, so I know about the conditions you're having to deal with. I put a set of Cooper SRX on my 12 last spring and had good luck with a couple spring snow storms. Right now my wife drives it through a 1ft drift to get in and out of the garage and they do great. Very good traction on packed snow and ice, and super quiet highway ride. They're also M+S rated, with a 65k treadwear warranty.

I've run several sets of TripleTred's, they did have good traction in a wide range of conditions, but they wear really fast. The best thing about them is that you won't have to pay full price for the next set, you'll be able to get a 50% warranty on the first ones. But you have to drive them down to 2/32s to get the warranty, and it's just not worth the hassle to me.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
If most of the driving is in the Denver area, I wouldn't go with a dedicated winter tire. Denver has more non-snow days than snow days, dedicated snows are a soft compound, they will wear very fast. Look for a tire with a lot of sipes, they will bite into the snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts