Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here.. hope I can get some advice.. been to 2 tranny shops for noises in car.. I treat the car nice, routine maintenance, all city driving, don't tow things - 2 shops said tranny needs repair, or replace parts.. seriously, with 85k original miles?? I've already replaced a MAF and spark plugs and a bad coil..little frustrated if I just have a bomb or what..Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Embarrassingly, I haven't; is that a place to start? I was told never to flush the trans at this mileage [by a mechanic] because I had looked into this first..

·
1,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First, tell us exactly what the symptoms are, then exactly what the shops are saying it needs. It might just need a drain and fill, or a shift solenoid, or a sensor, some of which you can do yourself. Transmission and other shops always see you coming when you appear to be uninformed. Don't take their word for it and just let them take your money. Is it throwing any codes? It should be, and those are clues to what is wrong, as are the symptoms. I highly recommend you get yourself a Honda factory service manual. I got mine, off eBay for about $45, and it has easily paid for itself many times over so far. It is over 3,200 pages and contains extensive troubleshooting procedures for the transmission as well as all other systems on the car. Here's a link:

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Honda CR-V Shop Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

This is the one I got, and the seller I got mine from. It is in pdf form on a disc. Install it on your computer. It can save you a ton of money while teaching you a lot about the car and literally any problems. Once you are better informed, then if you need to go to a shop, you will be equipped with enough knowledge to avoid getting ripped off, hopefully.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Never ever listen to anyone that tells you not to change the transmission fluid. A lot of idiots out there, and I mean A LOT (I have had to school other techs about it) that tell you dont change the fluid. I worked most of the last 20 years in a transmission shop. Transmission shops love people who dont change the fluid, it's their job security.

First off Honda isnt a flush, it's a drain and fill. Should have been done every 30k roughly. Yours will need a full 3x drain and fill. Google has all the information. Only use Honda fluid, DW1 fluid.

Transmission fluid is just like engine oil. It wears out and needs changed at intervals, simply lasts a lot longer between changes than engine oil.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
First off Honda isnt a flush, it's a drain and fill. Should have been done every 30k roughly. Yours will need a full 3x drain and fill. Google has all the information. Only use Honda fluid, DW1 fluid.
I agree with the 3x drain and fill, if you do it this way:

1. drain the transmission fluid and refill to the correct level.
2. drive far enough and fast enough so the transmission shifts through all the gears.
3. drain the transmission fluid and refill to the correct level.
4. drive far enough and fast enough so the transmission shifts through all the gears.
5. drain the transmission fluid and refill to the correct level.
6. drive far enough and fast enough so the transmission shifts through all the gears.

Good luck. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts