Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 CRV, 80k, bought it used 7k ago and from the start the Check Fuel Cap light has flashed randomly. I press the reset button to make it go away but it pops back up with no rhyme or reason. It's not related to fuel tank empty or full, I tried everything to tighten the cap, clicking it 5 times, 10 times, clicking it while pushing down on it, clicking it only once, only twice, I never top of the gas tank ... to no avail. It "seems" to be worse when it's hot outside. It was flashing pretty much all summer and not so much lately.

This car is Certified and still has some warranty left so I took it to the dealer to have the fuel cap replaced. They said they won't replace it for free because they don't know it's the cause. To replace anything under warranty, they need to determine the cause, and they would need to check the evap system. So we made an appointment for that. When I showed up for the appointment, they said that checking the evap system would cost me $ 98. That fee is waived if they find something wrong with it that is covered under the warranty. I declined and paid for a new fuel cap ($25) hoping this would fix it. 200 miles later, Check Fuel Cap is flashing again.

They also said that if I only get that warning - MIL never comes on - then I should be fine. Except for my sanity I guess.

I see that a ton of people have this kind of issue - why is Honda not addressing it? It's annoying. I assume there is no way to disable this stupid warning.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I would definitely go to the dealer and get it checked out. Is your fuel economy being affected by this?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
I've seen loose evaporative hoses on the Honda evap systems. Also faulty check valves (which are down by the charcoal canister, under the chassis).

You could check that stuff, but the dealer has the tools to check all the components individually. I'd go for the diagnostic. (And see if they would pay for the gas cap)

PS, aftermarket gas caps don't seal as well as OEM...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I am not taking it back to my local dealer. They will find a way to charge me the $100 dollars regardless of what they find. Will take it back to the dealer I bought it from, which is two hours away. The $ 100 dollars diagnostics should not even come up for an issue that is clearly a known Honda problem, and they know it.

They will not pay for the gas cap because I never had diagnostics run on the system. They already said that. And yes, it was a Honda gas cap.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Well, I am not taking it back to my local dealer. They will find a way to charge me the $100 dollars regardless of what they find. Will take it back to the dealer I bought it from, which is two hours away. The $ 100 dollars diagnostics should not even come up for an issue that is clearly a known Honda problem, and they know it.

They will not pay for the gas cap because I never had diagnostics run on the system. They already said that. And yes, it was a Honda gas cap.
Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever find out what the issue was when taking it back to the original dealer? Having same issues, replaced with oem gas cap, do not what local dealer involved. Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have been having this issue for a couple of years.

It is on my 2007 Honda CRV.

I too replaced the gas cap with an OEM Honda cap, same problem.

I know its not troublesome, but it sure as heck is annoying.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
I too have been having this issue for a couple of years.

It is on my 2007 Honda CRV.

I too replaced the gas cap with an OEM Honda cap, same problem.

I know its not troublesome, but it sure as heck is annoying.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
See my post: #4

An inspection of the rubber evaporative hoses is warranted to check for looseness and splits.

If all else fails, go to a dealer who can use the Honda analyzer to pinpoint the issue by actuating one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get that resolved? What did they do to fix the problem? I'm having that issue with mine, changed the cap, tighten the cap, still a message

1 - 10 of 10 Posts