Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Posting for a friend, so I apologize in advance if I don't have all the details. I searched for a while but didn't find anything that resembled this specific issue.

2011 CRV "loaded" with every electronic option offered. Her words, not mine.

She lives in a downtown city environment, and as such only uses her car on occasion. Here parking garage is about a 10 minute walk for her. She either walks or takes public transportation most of the time.

The issue: If she leaves her car for more than 12-14 days at a time without driving it, there is not enough power in the battery to start the car. After having her dealer look at it several times, they say that this is "normal" because of all the electronics in the car that require "keep alive" voltage.

I'll be the first to admit, A) I have not looked at/tried any diagnosing with the car, and B) I am by no means an expert when it comes to car repair, but I have a very good background in automotive, mechanical, electrical and electronic functionality / repair.

The dealer's explanation just doesn't suit me. So I am relying on the brain trust here.

Is this in fact a common issue with these vehicles?

I can leave my loaded Ford explorer for several months at a time and it starts right up.

Her solution thus far (on the dealer's recommendation) is to keep a charged jump box in it, and jump it when she needs it. She of course doesn't like doing this but if it's the only solution, so be it. She also dislikes having to reset her radio stations etc every time as well.

If in fact, this is the way it has to be, I suggested a phone enabled, smart-start remote car starter, that she could use once a week from her apartment to start the car, let it run for a few minutes etc...

Any suggestions/comments welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
hello; 2013V here and I had to jump my V twice after it sat a couple of weeks. I thought there was something wrong and have done nothing to figure it out but I've read here that the bat. might be undersized so maybe that could be a problem. Some sort of power shut off would be nice but still hold any presets would be nice also. The V is my DD now so as long as you drive it we'll be alset. If there are situations like this I'd like to hear what Honda says about it.
IBBY

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
pjw....- You need to measure the draw on the battery when everything is turned off. Does the car have an aftermarket add-on remote start or engine heater?
Even with the stock sized battery, it should be able to sit longer than two weeks and still start. If the draw with all things off is more than 100 millivolts there maybe a problem somewhere. Since it is an '11 model year, the battery is approaching end of service life (3 yrs/36k miles) and could be going bad. If that is the case and a new battery is called for, I suggest you search the forum here for the upgrade to an Accord/Odyssey sized battery thread. It seems to be the solution to the bean counters applied economics in the CR-V.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Even with the car off there will be a draw that can kill the battery. That's true with all vehicles. The newer the vehicle, the more "creature comforts), the more draw can be had on the system.

Just needs to drive it more often or disconnect the battery when it's gonna sit. When parking it, make sure everything is turned off.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If your not happy with their answer and your electrically inclined, put a voltage meter on the battery with the vehicle off, then one by one pull fuses checking the meter to see if the reading goes up. That way you can find your draw.

·
Registered
868 Posts
You have to get all the details. 'Loaded with every electronic option'. What does that mean? Honda or aftermarket crap?

My 2011 has sat twice now or 6 weeks. No problem starting. I only have standard Honda stuff. The way it came from the factory. Auto headlights and all. Never switch them off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi folks,

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. To answer a couple of questions. "Every option available" Honda only. no aftermarket. Yes, I understand circuit isolation and parasitic current draw. The distance between myself and the car is about 2 hours so I don't get to see it much. My main question "is this a common issue for this vehicle?" was to determine if I should dig in further, or send her back to the dealer. I don't think the "is this common" has been answered as there are differing posts here. But I think if I can get access to the vehicle with an ammeter, I should be able to isolate some circuits by pulling fuses.

I liked the thought of turning the auto headlights off, until drivezki mentioned he has no issue with them.

If/when i get more info, I'll report back. Thanks to all for the insight. I'll of course be watching the thread for any future comments/suggestions.

best, P.../

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My money is on the battery being ready to give up the ghost.
It's been thru more deep cycles than most if it's been left sitting like the post says, so it's probably been charged more than the usual amount, boiling off the electrolyte. At three years it's pushing the envelope of age/time for a stocker.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Battery at the end of it's expected service life, and auto headlights being left on is a common issue outside of Hondas. But from what I've read, the user manual itself says to turn the auto lights off if the vehicle will sit for prolonged periods of time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think the question is, how long did your friend drive the car, before she parked it in garage. if she drove the car long enough, the battery could be charged full, otherwise, she just keep drain the battery. it's a small battery after all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
sleepy battery

I a mm checking my 2011 that went off while working. The inactive draw is 20 mA! All new cars do this. Our Acura can be weak after 10 days. Service people say lock the car to have minimum standby draw, and use the car. I like to have accessd to the car when in the garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Electrical issues like this are actually fairly simple to diagnose with the right tools, specifically a multimeter. This is not common and dealership is avoiding the issue because they probably don't have someone that is good with electrical systems. A shop that specializes in electrical problems with fix this quickly. Then she should take the bill to the dealer and ask them to pay it or give her service credit for the amount.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As batteries age they lose reserve and cranking amps. Same thing happened to my motorcycle last winter. Get a trickle charger for the vehicles that sit two weeks or more and buy an upgraded new battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts