Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started a thread some time back 11 CRV Weekend Progress regarding the 2011 CRV EX acquired for my daughter. The intent was to go through the vehicle mechanically and cosmetically before driving it to the east coast. I spent the most part of the summer working on the V replacing things like the tires, doing a complete brake job, replacing the front strut bushings/bellows, replace the rear sway bar end links, new (Denso Reman) starter, multiple hoses, clamps, and gaskets, replaced the accessory belt and tensioner, 3 x power steering fluid flush, 3 x trans fluid flush & filter, engine oil change, rear diff fluid change, air filter, cabin filter, wheel alignment, air bag recall, new battery, thorough deep clean of the interior, replaced the driver side lower seat cushion and while that was apart - installed a heated seat kit, LED interior lights, remote starter install, paintless dent removal and installed body side moldings, the exterior was given a 90% thorough detail as I ran out of time before leaving. I had intended to put 300 miles or so on the V as a shakedown before heading out east but again time ran out on me and it didn't happen. My shakedown happened Saturday eastbound on I-80.

As luck would have it, I got 20 miles out of town and the TPMS light came on. A quick check of air pressures confirmed an issue with the TPMS system, likely a sensor gave up. I had debated replacing the sensors as they are 10 years old but, I didn't and it has apparently come back to bite me. On the way we spent a couple of days on Long Island before heading to Connecticut on Tuesday. Took the Port Jefferson Ferry across the sound landing in CT.
Stopped for lunch, upon returning to the V, it would not start. I messed around and luckily it started, took it and had the new battery checked, it was in great shape. So, the rebuilt Denso starter went to crap at 1200 miles. This morning I picked up a Honda Mitsuba reman starter, out and in in 2 hours. Wala, the V is back on the road.

I hope the extra excitement is over...

Fuel stop along the way...
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

Black Rock CT
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Tire

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turned the car over to my daughter this morning after 7 days and 1800+ miles and flew back to Iowa. In some ways I like this 2011 better than our 2013.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I started a thread some time back 11 CRV Weekend Progress regarding the 2011 CRV EX acquired for my daughter. The intent was to go through the vehicle mechanically and cosmetically before driving it to the east coast. I spent the most part of the summer working on the V replacing things like the tires, doing a complete brake job, replacing the front strut bushings/bellows, replace the rear sway bar end links, new (Denso Reman) starter, multiple hoses, clamps, and gaskets, replaced the accessory belt and tensioner, 3 x power steering fluid flush, 3 x trans fluid flush & filter, engine oil change, rear diff fluid change, air filter, cabin filter, wheel alignment, air bag recall, new battery, thorough deep clean of the interior, replaced the driver side lower seat cushion and while that was apart - installed a heated seat kit, LED interior lights, remote starter install, paintless dent removal and installed body side moldings, the exterior was given a 90% thorough detail as I ran out of time before leaving. I had intended to put 300 miles or so on the V as a shakedown before heading out east but again time ran out on me and it didn't happen. My shakedown happened Saturday eastbound on I-80.

As luck would have it, I got 20 miles out of town and the TPMS light came on. A quick check of air pressures confirmed an issue with the TPMS system, likely a sensor gave up. I had debated replacing the sensors as they are 10 years old but, I didn't and it has apparently come back to bite me. On the way we spent a couple of days on Long Island before heading to Connecticut on Tuesday. Took the Port Jefferson Ferry across the sound landing in CT.
Stopped for lunch, upon returning to the V, it would not start. I messed around and luckily it started, took it and had the new battery checked, it was in great shape. So, the rebuilt Denso starter went to crap at 1200 miles. This morning I picked up a Honda Mitsuba reman starter, out and in in 2 hours. Wala, the V is back on the road.

I hope the extra excitement is over...

Fuel stop along the way...
View attachment 150864

Black Rock CT
View attachment 150865
3x power steering fluid flush? Is t that like a 3x oil change? 😂

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3x power steering fluid flush? Is t that like a 3x oil change? 😂
Very much so. If I had more power steering fluid on hand, I would have done it at least a couple more times. I was kind of surprised after three reservoir drain and fills, how quick the fluid turned dark.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Very much so. If I had more power steering fluid on hand, I would have done it at least a couple more times. I was kind of surprised after three reservoir drain and fills, how quick the fluid turned dark.
ok, I see, you drained and filled the reservoir and ran it and then did it again? That would take multiple times.

I pulled off the return hose and put it in a 1L bottle and collected the old fluid as I turned the wheel lock to lock. Then I stopped when it ran clear and all the old fluid was out of the system. I was wondering “why do that multiple times since all the old fluid is out” hence my 3x oil change dig 😉

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, I see, you drained and filled the reservoir and ran it and then did it again? That would take multiple times.

I pulled off the return hose and put it in a 1L bottle and collected the old fluid as I turned the wheel lock to lock. Then I stopped when it ran clear and all the old fluid was out of the system. I was wondering “why do that multiple times since all the old fluid is out” hence my 3x oil change dig 😉
Your process is a good idea and much more effective than the process I used. I will need to remember that for future use.
I would have felt better had all of the old fluid been replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts