Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my ABS and traction control light came on, with no obvious reason. I checked to make sure each tire had the correct pressure. I went to an auto store to see if they could diagnose, but it only came back with code SE4. See service manual. Any idea as to what is causing this? I have had no maintenance done, and have not hit any curbs or big holes.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
529 Posts
Some folks totally ignore the brake fluid change maintenance. ABS has lots of small passages and brake fluid definitely deteriorate with time.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Sorry but ignore the first reply, battery has 0 to do with this.

Tire pressures will do nothing unless one tire is damn near flat

Brake fluid service causing a code is very very slim chance (in my over 20 years as a tech, never have I seen an ABS issue due to fluid not being changed regularly enough)

But saying the words "no maintenance" being done is not a good thing at all. Transmission fluid changes, oil changes etc should have been done several times since new.

As for that code, it's not the cars code, it's the code the scan tool is giving because it cant access the system.

Auto part store code readers are a total joke anyway. They tell you what sensor or sensors are having an issue, not why they are having an issue. 1 time out of 50 does that code actually point to a specific part to be replaced. And their code readers cannot read anything but generic ODB II protocol codes from the ECM. Some have ones that can get transmission codes but that's the extent of it.

Take it to a shop and have them actually see what the issue is.

ABS issues are fairly simple. Common one is a wheel bearing because the ring is in the bearing. other one is the sensor itself that reads the wheel bearing. The ABS solenoid pack, controller or simply a blown fuse also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry but ignore the first reply, battery has 0 to do with this.

Tire pressures will do nothing unless one tire is damn near flat

Brake fluid service causing a code is very very slim chance (in my over 20 years as a tech, never have I seen an ABS issue due to fluid not being changed regularly enough)

But saying the words "no maintenance" being done is not a good thing at all. Transmission fluid changes, oil changes etc should have been done several times since new.

As for that code, it's not the cars code, it's the code the scan tool is giving because it cant access the system.

Auto part store code readers are a total joke anyway. They tell you what sensor or sensors are having an issue, not why they are having an issue. 1 time out of 50 does that code actually point to a specific part to be replaced. And their code readers cannot read anything but generic ODB II protocol codes from the ECM. Some have ones that can get transmission codes but that's the extent of it.

Take it to a shop and have them actually see what the issue is.

ABS issues are fairly simple. Common one is a wheel bearing because the ring is in the bearing. other one is the sensor itself that reads the wheel bearing. The ABS solenoid pack, controller or simply a blown fuse also.

Not to discredit you as an automotive tech, but from experience a lot of tech out there doesn’t take time to diagnose the actual issue. I know time is money. Many times they just tell you need to replace this part and that part when it’s simply just need a simple reset. I’m a diy and rarely take any of my car to the shop unless it’s warranty related.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Not to discredit you as an automotive tech, but from experience a lot of tech out there doesn’t take time to diagnose the actual issue. I know time is money. Many times they just tell you need to replace this part and that part when it’s simply just need a simple reset. I’m a diy and rarely take any of my car to the shop unless it’s warranty related.
no you ate VERY RIGHT, many dont. And those idiots give the rest of us a bad name because they dont get the fact not properly fixing the first time pisses ppl off. So then the rest of us get the "all shops screw you over" reputation to deal with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.