Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed from the last three oil changes that there is always some oil residue that has dripped down the valve cover from the dipstick and the oil filler cap. Usually covered in dirt. Its not enough to show up as low on the dipstick or puddle under the car but I was wondering if anyone else had this.
Its not spill because after every oil change I take a rag and wipe everything down to a shine from the valve cover, oil pan, and any area that has grease or oil to see if its comes back or if there is a leak somewhere I want to narrow everything down.
Curious anyone else seen this.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Strange. Your still under warranty, yes?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a comforting reply. I dont think I am under warranty anymore as I am at 45k now. Powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
27 Posts
is the cap sealing right? or the dip stick as well?

very strange, usually the only drip residue i have seen is when the valve cover sealing is old or dry
and then you see that kind of dripping.

regards,

G.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Try removing the dip stick and cleaning the o-rings that form the seal. Be sure they're nice and pliable. Clean the hole they go into also. Any dirt on the sealing surface will help cause an o-ring to leak.
Same goes for the oil fill cap. Clean the sealing surface on the valve cover and clean the cap o-ring. Be sure to tighten the cap down good too. If the o-ring is old and flat you may need a new one. Don't know if Honda sells them separately or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I always make sure the dipstick is all the way in. Although in the past I may have put the dipstick the wrong way. Meaning having the icon face towards the windshield instead of outward, but each time it has always been tight you can feel a click when it is pushed in all the way. The filler cap is tight, at least tight enough that I have to stand a certain way to get some strength to open it again.
After each change I wipe down the area so that the metal is shiny and no oil or greasiness left over. I will take picts to show. Although it takes approx. 5000-6000 miles before the oily dirt trail forms. It's not enough to show low on the dipstick very small amount. Its just a drip or slight oozing from the dipstick and filler cap area, its not coming from the valve cover gasket area or anywhere else.

I am fairly certain it is not overfill. I usually take note of that, I rather have slight underfill than overfill when changing oil, I try to put just enough that it is slightly under the full hole on dipstick.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Highly unlikely since your CRV is a 2011, but check the PCV valve/fresh air system. If it isn't functioning properly there will be a build up of pressure inside the crankcase when the engine is running, it can lead to oil seepage.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,886 Posts
I was going to say PCV valve also.

Otherwise, I got nothing...:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the PCV is not working the engine will or could build pressure. This would cause oil vapor and oil to look for a way out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If the PVC is badly plugged, won't it make the engine idle roughly, too, or was that just on older cars?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If the PVC is badly plugged, won't it make the engine idle roughly, too, or was that just on older cars?
That was older carburated vehicles, the PCV is a metered vacuum leak, carburetors are tuned to compensate, when the PCV is plugged, the engine runs rich since it is lacking some of the air flow it was tuned for.
On a fuel injected engine the idle air control valve can compensate and the ecu can pull some of the fuel when the 02 sensor reads a rich exhaust.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If the OP is complaining about the build up of dirt after 5-6k miles, isn't that just the 'normal' dust accumulation on a formerly oily surface?
Unless he cleans up the area around the cap with some kind of spray cleaner say, it's always going to have an oil residue left on it for the dust to cling to.
Even my engine does that or exhibits that, but it's not leaking.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If the OP is complaining about the build up of dirt after 5-6k miles, isn't that just the 'normal' dust accumulation on a formerly oily surface?
Unless he cleans up the area around the cap with some kind of spray cleaner say, it's always going to have an oil residue left on it for the dust to cling to.
Even my engine does that or exhibits that, but it's not leaking.
Very likely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check out the PCV this weekend. I have included picts of my engine bay right now. When it starts leaking again, in a few thousand miles I will repost. Visuals usually help tell the story better. IMG_0865.jpg IMG_0866.jpg

·
Registered
434 Posts
That was older carburated vehicles, the PCV is a metered vacuum leak, carburetors are tuned to compensate, when the PCV is plugged, the engine runs rich since it is lacking some of the air flow it was tuned for.
On a fuel injected engine the idle air control valve can compensate and the ecu can pull some of the fuel when the 02 sensor reads a rich exhaust.
Thanks; good to know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here is an update, roughly 3000 miles later you can see some sort of grease or leak near the oil fill cap. More dust being attracted to something greasy, this time around I dont see any leaking from the dipstick though. Its not as pronounced as say 9000 miles or when the maintenance minder gets to 10% oil life left.
I might try just getting a new oil cap to see if that solves it.

IMG_0968.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts