Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Just had my 100k 2011 Honda CRV service done.

Had replaced oil, filter, spark plugs and drive belt which was found worn so that also got replaced.

Dealer also found that my power steering rack was leaking fluid and only way to fix was 2000$ 8hr job to replace, i did not want to do it and they also did not have time on same day to accommodate so they asked to come back next week if i wanted to do but need to keep eye on my power steering fluid level periodically.

So questions for all pros here, is there a short term fix for this considering its common issue for Gen3? I read multiple articles on other sites recommending using a stop leak but i am not sure if its worth doing that and causing more problem or just keep topping off the fluid?

Over all i am planning to keep this car for another 5yrs, engine and transmission seems to be in fine shape so i dont see any other major issues to run this for next 5yrs.

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Just had my 100k 2011 Honda CRV service done.

Had replaced oil, filter, spark plugs and drive belt which was found worn so that also got replaced.

Dealer also found that my power steering rack was leaking fluid and only way to fix was 2000$ 8hr job to replace, i did not want to do it and they also did not have time on same day to accommodate so they asked to come back next week if i wanted to do but need to keep eye on my power steering fluid level periodically.

So questions for all pros here, is there a short term fix for this considering its common issue for Gen3? I read multiple articles on other sites recommending using a stop leak but i am not sure if its worth doing that and causing more problem or just keep topping off the fluid?

Over all i am planning to keep this car for another 5yrs, engine and transmission seems to be in fine shape so i dont see any other major issues to run this for next 5yrs.

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Thanks in advance.
I've got exactly same issue on an otherwise perfect 2011 CR-V EX-L w/Nav (65K miles). I have to add about 3/8" to the reservoir every month. Now that I've loaned it to my adult daughter (1300 miles from home), I have to make sure every month that she has checked it and added fluid.

Sure would be nice to find an inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,044 Posts
That's what I do on my old Pilot. Honda power steering fluid is very cheap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would try some atp at-205 stop leak additive -many people have had great results with this at stopping small per steering leaks-sometimes permanently.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,819 Posts
Our '99 Acura TL leaked power steering fluid its entire 185K mile 'life'. Periodic top-offs (at every oil change) were all that it needed.

So yeah, as long as the fluid isn't allowed to get TOO low (or the problem escalates) you will be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.