Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife has a 2011 CRV SE. It has 85,000 miles on it. That VTC makes noise when starting. Will that ever clear up on its own?? Just started a few weeks ago. Dealer said that Honda told them it is no problem. Just don't like the noise when starting cold. Dealer told me it is $900 for the part needed. Then the other day when starting the car in the morning. I began to start. Sputtered for a second and died. She had to turn it over for maybe 10 seconds before it fired back up. I called the Dealer this morning. He said maybe it was just a glitch. Everyone has it happen once in a while. Could be just a speck or something in the gas line?? I put in a bottle of Heet. Seemed to start just fine this morning. Dealer also told me I don't have to put it in, because by Law Oil companies have to put in 10%. Can it hurt if I put in a bottle anyhow for peace of mind?? It is getting colder here now and I don't want to start running into problems with it. Thanks..

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Wife has a 2011 CRV SE. It has 85,000 miles on it. That VTC makes noise when starting. Will that ever clear up on its own?? Just started a few weeks ago. Dealer said that Honda told them it is no problem. Just don't like the noise when starting cold. Dealer told me it is $900 for the part needed. Then the other day when starting the car in the morning. I began to start. Sputtered for a second and died. She had to turn it over for maybe 10 seconds before it fired back up. I called the Dealer this morning. He said maybe it was just a glitch. Everyone has it happen once in a while. Could be just a speck or something in the gas line?? I put in a bottle of Heet. Seemed to start just fine this morning. Dealer also told me I don't have to put it in, because by Law Oil companies have to put in 10%. Can it hurt if I put in a bottle anyhow for peace of mind?? It is getting colder here now and I don't want to start running into problems with it. Thanks..
I’m pretty sure this is related to the vtc actuator lock pin not returning to the locked position prior causing the noise. Fuel issue has nothing to do with it. I believe it’s a design flaw. Using quality synthetic oil helps.
I brought a 2008 Honda Accord with the i4 engine back in 2008 had the same issue you’re describing. The issue was never resolve and Honda was giving me the runaround and wound up trading it in with 35k miles.
https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/...tor-issue-solved-2.html#/topics/446881?page=2

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it then.. It won't go back to how it was on it's own. Dealer today said it will cost $900. for the part only. It is non electrical. Then why have it on if Honda knows it is going to screw up at any given time..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I take it then.. It won't go back to how it was on it's own. Dealer today said it will cost $900. for the part only. It is non electrical. Then why have it on if Honda knows it is going to screw up at any given time..
The cold start rattling issue is not easy to replicate. It doesn’t happen at every start up but it usually happen after a cold soak start up.
Whenever I take my car in to get it check out, they can never replicate the issue. I even filmed a video and documented the issue and show it to them. All they told me is if the dealer can’t replicate the issue nothing will be done. It’s not daily driver, I can’t be bringing the car to the shop all the time. Time is money. I got so frustrated and suck it up and trade the car in and brought a Toyota RAV4. From my experience, Toyota listen to customer’s concern and will fix issue. This Honda left a sour taste in mouth and I don’t think I will buy one again. If you’re handy the repair isn’t too bad. Just need to replace the existing vtc actuator with the revised actuator. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts