Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all just going to get to the point just today I was waiting in a drive thru and out of no where while applying brake my crv just shuts off and the accessories cant back on and I had power but I had to restart my car to turn the engine on. Then while I was arriving home I get up my drive way and I noticed one of my hids was off as I was about to put it into Park again all power turns off and acessories turn on but engine remained off. I put a new battery in just 5 months ago, yes I do have alot plugged in and I have after market fog lights and hids with a retro fit housing and the hid box thing to regulate the current im kind of stumped and since I drive my car alot this can be a huge saftey issue for me please anything you have to offer for advice is appreciated thank you for taking your time to read this post. I will be monitoring this post as much as I can and will answer any questions.
Again thank you

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Check your battery cable connections and the condition of the wires going into them.
Check the grounding (bonding) wire connections from the neg bat cable connector to the frame and the one from the frame to the motor.
Also check the voltage of your battery, esp after sitting overnight. Should be 12.5v or higher. Lower could indicate a bad battery (even new ones can be bad) or a poor charging system (alternator, connections).
Check the voltage of your battery with the engine running and it should be around 14v. If it is not, a failing alternator or loose connections are indicated.
Buffao4

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
While you are waiting, start the crv and start jiggling the ignition key and switch to see if it cuts out.
You can also try tapping on the steering column and dash etc. with your fist while the crv is running to see if it shuts off.
Hopefully you will solve your problem and post back with the solution.
Buffalo

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm not a big believer in coincidence ;-) A lot of 3rd party electrical accessories, one of which demonstrates some type of failure (added HID light out), makes me think there is a relationship there. Obviously there is some kind of wiring fault, either a loose connection or a short somewhere that seems to be killing the whole electrical system momentarily, at least enough for the engine to shut down. If there aren't any fuses blown, that would point me upstream to something connected directly to the battery - either a bad battery cable or one of the taps powering the HID or Fog Light relays.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gotta wait and see

thanks for the replies guys, what we kind of fount out was there was a lot of corrosion on the positive wire and the negative wire to the battery was able to be removed by hand.....
cleaned out the positive wire and secured and tightened the negative wire, drove it last night without an issue but only time will tell.
in the meantime thank you all for giving my problem some thought.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Severe corrosion can be an indicator of leaks around the battery posts. Also, that corrosion has a habit of wicking up the cable and weakening the wire even inside the insulation jacket, so inspect your cables carefully.

But at the least you might consider greasing the posts and connectors with dielectric grease, and perhaps install a set of those treated felt red & green washers to prevent further problems down the road. Hopefully you identified and corrected the issue so your car doesn't die driving down the road - that can be scary!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts