Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My tailgate doesn't open fully and I have to push it fully open by hand. This gets pretty annoying especially after hitting your head a few times on the partially open tailgate.

Would this be covered by warranty as the vehicle only has 58 000 km?

Does anyone have any tips to rejuvenate the opening force of the gas pisons?

Btw, Once open the tailgate stays open.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its doubtful if its covered under warranty,also there is nothing you can personally do to fix them. Replacement is the only option. I have seen them at most Auto parts stores.Swapping them out is pretty much a no-brainer..

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you have an extended warranty, take it to your Honda dealer, otherwise you can replace it yourself to save money. On a different car that I had, the only solution was to replace the gas springs. IIRC, one gas spring cost ~$25, I don't know what they sell for today. I'd look to Rock Auto for this part.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. I'll look into replacements. It's a little disappointing that these are failing already but I suppose there are a lot worse problems out there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Remember to get help with this repair. If you remove one gas spring the tail gate will fall on your head unless someone holds it for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts