Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had this problem with my 2011 CRV (110k miles) before. A few weeks ago, TPMS System light (not low tire pressure indicator light) came on as I was pulling into my driveway. Next morning, started car and the light was off. A week later, the light came on again, but went off after a short period of time driving. Earlier this week, the TPMS indicator lit up again, but this time is remaining lit. I've checked the pressure in all 4 tires and all were fine.
I've searched this forum and see that sometimes when this occurs, its due to the use of a dedicated GPS. Not the case here, as I don't use a dedicated GPS.

I haven't had time to bring it in to have a mechanic/dealership look into this yet. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on. Is this something I should be concerned about and is necessary to repair? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You are going to have to take it to the dealer to get the diagnostic code causing the TPMS warning light. But the most likely cause is one of the tire pressure sensors is having an issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've never had this problem with my 2011 CRV (110k miles) before. A few weeks ago, TPMS System light (not low tire pressure indicator light) came on as I was pulling into my driveway. Next morning, started car and the light was off. A week later, the light came on again, but went off after a short period of time driving. Earlier this week, the TPMS indicator lit up again, but this time is remaining lit. I've checked the pressure in all 4 tires and all were fine.
I've searched this forum and see that sometimes when this occurs, its due to the use of a dedicated GPS. Not the case here, as I don't use a dedicated GPS.

I haven't had time to bring it in to have a mechanic/dealership look into this yet. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on. Is this something I should be concerned about and is necessary to repair? Thanks.
What are your ambient temperatures outdoors and indoors like in your garage if your checking or parking the car there?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I haven't had time to bring it in to have a mechanic/dealership look into this yet. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on. Is this something I should be concerned about and is necessary to repair?
It is possible that one of the batteries in your sensors is getting weak. They typically last around 10 years, but I'm sure that can vary by a year or two in either direction. Our TPMS light in the blue '09 has been doing a similar intermittent thing, but I haven't had time to check it. It is at the ten year point, so I suspect at least one of the sensors is probably getting weak. For my '09, I ordered new Denso TPMS sensors and had them installed when I got my last set of tires back in June or July this past summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the replies. The low tire pressure (horseshoe) light has not lit up and I don't feel there's an issue with the actual tire pressures. Temperature in the heated garage where I park the car is around 50 deg. F and it hasn't been extremely cold around here yet. I have experienced the temperature related low tire pressure in the past, but this is a different situation.
I'm thinking sensor as well, but I hadn't thought about the 10-year old battery life. Good information. I'll report back once I have someone look at the car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I just tried my Autel TS501 for the first time today. It's surprising how much data is in the Denso sensors I had replaced in my wheels. Reading the sensors will show us the PSI, battery level, ambient temperature and ID number. (So in other words, the sensors in our CR-Vs give out a lot more data than what our car's ECU utilizes.) I was able to clear the old stored codes from my ECU and write the new ones, and my TPMS light is off now. The low pressure warning light was blinking--I thought I messed up something else. But the procedure suggested triggering each sensor a second time, and an online post elsewhere mentioned driving it a short distance. Sure enough, I went driving down the block and about a couple hundred yards later, the flashing low pressure warning light shut off and all is back to normal now.

@dbragas Someone with the right TPMS equipment could check to see if the batteries in your sensors are still good. And if they are, reprogramming their IDs to the car's ECU should get your light taken care of. The only other issue I can think of is if someone replaced a sensor with an off-brand that wasn't OE quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts