Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My white 2011 CRV has no clear coat. I started to have issues with what they call "powdering" with her about 4-5 years ago. If you wiped it with your hand you would have a white powder on your hand and there was no shine. I have been having it professionally waxed (not buffed) twice a year since then. It has now started to oxidize and Buffmasters has told me repeatedly there is no clear coat on it. I just took it to Honda collision since the only solution is to have it repainted. It looks terrible, it's hard to get anything off of it since the paint is porous and everything sticks. I have a $6,600 estimate to have it painted as they must completely take it apart, strip down, prime and paint.

I have been advised to file a claim with Honda. My CRV only has 58,000 miles on it and needs new paint!! I am a Honda lover and have owned three. My last 1999 white CRV never had this issue.

Anyone else have this problem??

·
Super Moderator
3,222 Posts
How about video or pictures to show us. Honda has used CC on all cars since long before 2001.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Does your car live outside in the elements? When did the professional waxing begin? What are you looking for in a paint finish?.......show car finish or just glossy white? $6600 to re-paint a 9 year old V?......sounds like a rip-off to me. Have you called around to other shops? Do you have a Maaco Paint & Body nearby?

Our '79 Civic CVCC had CC paint......the paint was the only disappointment about the car......and it got lots of wax jobs and spent all of its nights in a closed garage.:(

·
Everything in Moderation
7,716 Posts
I've noticed the same paint issues with other newer white cars (not all Hondas). I bet it has something to do with the water-based paints in use today.

And $6600 isn't a lot these days to paint a car...a GOOD job (including sills and doorjams and underhood) can cost 5 figures (in US dollars).

Show us PICS. If the paint isn't totally buffed to the primer, a simple application of clear might stop the deterioration.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Plain whites don’t normally have a clear coat.

All clear coats will yellow over time, but when used over colors you don’t see it, when used over white it can become noticeable far too soon and people start complaining.

I don’t have any particular info on this car though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts