Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our EX for about a week now and have put 150 miles or so on it. Today, when my wife backed out of the garage, I noticed that it is dripping something dark brown, possibly oil. Not a huge amount, but enough to put some 4-5 inch rings of color on the floor.

Not something I expected to see - is this normal in a break-in period or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
427 Posts
No, not normal. A car shouldn't leak fluids at any time (other than A/C condensation). Take it back to the dealer. Covered under warranty.

·
Registered
374 Posts
No, what you described is not normal. You need to return to the dealer and have the leak repaired.

You can help the technician ID the source of the leak by parking your car over a clean location and putting some sort of reasonably clean paper (paper grocery bags, for example) under the car in locations that you think the oil may be coming from. When you think you know approximately where it might be coming from, put a piece of tape or grease pencil/lipstick mark on the side of your CR-V to help the technician identify approximately where the leak may be occurring in relation to the vehicle. Otherwise, the source will be blown away by the wind passing under the car as you drive to the dealership, and the techs will be in exactly the situation you are now -- namely, guessing as to the source. Also take the stained paper with you: e.g., gear oil has a distinct odor

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
There have been a couple reported leaks on this forum. One was from a rear differential seal and one was from a timing belt cover. The timing belt cover thread mentions that Honda had some kind of service issue that requires removing the timing belt cover to fix / inspect something on new models and sometimes they don't get sealed back up right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts