Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched a bit and don't know that I saw this question answered directly. Some of the threads are also pretty old and I was wondering if there might be a newer/better option. This is also the first time I'm considering tackling a camera installation - I feel a bit out of my element on this.

I have a 2011 EX with a factory head unit without nav/backup camera. I already replaced the factory speakers all the way around (with Kicker 40CS654 2-ways) and am looking at replacing the head unit soon (likely a Pioneer AVH-X2800BS or similar) and thought I might as well add a backup camera at the same time. (I'm keeping the audio changes pretty simple - factory speaker and head unit replacement only - no amps or subs.) I'm not interested in having the backup camera video in the rear view mirror - on the head unit screen would be ideal.

Any recommendations for a backup camera for this vehicle? I'd prefer something that mounts like a factory camera if possible. I don't need bells and whistles, just something that will work and have a (relatively) uncomplicated installation (no drilling holes in body parts, etc). A quick search shows the OEM versions at $150 or more, which is obviously more than I care to drop for a camera, and I don't know how easy it would be to integrate (existing wiring harness, if any, etc.). I assume an aftermarket camera would be a better option. But it is hard to know what would likely be the best fit and still be easy to integrate with a new head unit.

Any specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had a Rydeen brand backup camera installed in my '12 V LX and it is a very nice camera for the cost...$75.00 at the shop with a decent discount for being a good and long term customer. It is connected to an aftermarket head unit...Alpine iLX-007 double din and works really well.

It was mounted along side the existing factory camera that runs on the imid screen...night and day difference in quality but to be fair the head unit is a 7" display and better image quality compared to the small imid screen. They could have replaced the existing camera but as they said...it works and why not have two rear cameras...They just drilled a small hole and mounted the camera right along side.

I also like the head units software that allows me to adjust the lines, traffic cones, etc. to set up the camera's guides how I want them. Different head unit makers use different software but I suspect they are all similar to a degree more or less.
I think they charged me $70.00 or a bit less for the install, which I watched and decided I was glad to let them handle it...that is a lot of wiring to run from the hatch to the head unit...via the ceiling...but they did a great job.

The Rydeen cameras seem to be a quality device though the head unit makers generally offer their own...Alpine does but it was twice the cost and the sales person, whom I trust, said it was the same quality or close enough not to notice differences.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kai.

I am hoping for some recommendations for a more "OEM type" installation if possible. Or, if there aren't really some good quality options for that, possibly a license plate frame type solution. But always good to know what your other options are from other people's successful solutions.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think the factory camera mount is a standard size...my aftermarket camera would fit but you would still have to run the wiring as the head units camera connector is more than likely different from the factory connector, and all others as well. You can try, as others have been successful doing this, to splice the connector for the head unit onto the factory wiring.
I could have mounted the camera in the factory location but the factory camera works so I left it and would rather not try to splice the connector if I didn't have to and the installer agreed.
Not sure what you mean by OEM type installation...the wiring runs along side the factory wiring...I could have used a license plate frame mount but they are not cheap so mounting it next to the factory camera seemed the best move and works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got this one from Amazon. Here is a pic taken during installation. I will post one later with the license trim reinstalled. I installed it last week with an Alpine ilx-007 on my 2011 EX. Picture quality is acceptable, I'm interested to see how it holds up. I purchased an OEM gasket from the dealer for the license light because it didn't come with one, and I also improved the sealing between the cable and housing with clear silicone caulk. The video cable that comes with it will be too short, but Amazon sells one that is twice as long.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IWKL39W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1464831272&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=crv+backup+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=41DzRIcfB2L&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
511 Posts
Great pics.
I too have an Alpine iLX-007 and love it. I've had mine around 4 months. How do you like yours?
Sorry to hijack the thread but there aren't a lot of people on any of the forums with this head unit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far, I'm pretty happy with it. Definitely seems to be high quality and I really liked that it was made in Japan.

The display does get alittle washed out in bright sun, and the volume down is alittle wonky (pressing and holding "-" mutes it).

I think the sound quality has significantly improved, even with the stock speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the factory camera mount is a standard size...my aftermarket camera would fit but you would still have to run the wiring as the head units camera connector is more than likely different from the factory connector, and all others as well. You can try, as others have been successful doing this, to splice the connector for the head unit onto the factory wiring.
I could have mounted the camera in the factory location but the factory camera works so I left it and would rather not try to splice the connector if I didn't have to and the installer agreed.
Not sure what you mean by OEM type installation...the wiring runs along side the factory wiring...I could have used a license plate frame mount but they are not cheap so mounting it next to the factory camera seemed the best move and works great.
By OEM-type I meant something that fits where the OEM camera would go, like your existing one you didn't remove or the one sivikvtec used. I saw a few on Amazon that were supposed to fit in the space but you never know for sure. I prefer recommendations from a place like here than random Amazon reviewers that never state what year their vehicles are, etc. Thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for this, sivikvtek! This is the kind of recommendation I was hoping for. Will look into this one. Thanks for posting pictures as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts