Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share this , in case it helps anyone with a similar problem.
Purchased a owner vehicle 80k on the clock nice clean car however.
Had a vibration between 57-65 mph which appeared coming from mid to rear , as opposed to coming through the steering wheel.
The car needed needed new tires so took a punt and purchased the vehicle, thinking that this probably was the source of the vibration so changed all 4 and had them balanced , No improvement.
Had a good look around all CV boots intact with no slop when pulling & pushing. Noticed rust around the Prop shaft rear hardiy spicer joint , disconnected and found it to be
very tight in one direction , so changed the prop shaft .Some improvement in as much as the vibration , now felt it was towards the front of the vehicle.
I then took another look at the front Drive shafts while still on the vehicle , out f the two the Drivers side ( shorter shaft ) had some movement , once off the vehicle it was showing evidence of excessive play so I replaced it . No improvement .
I focused on the Passenger Drive shaft , and although there was no slop evident on the vehicle , and even once off there was minimal play , however I changed it out . PROBLEM SOLVED VIBRATION GONE.

Obviously purchasing a vehicle with 80k , you will not know the history / background , as opposed to owning a vehicle for a long time where a problem developed, is a different "kettle of fish".
As an 80k vehicle I expected some issues, so identifying issues and getting them sorted is to be expected.
The tries and the prop shaft were the most obvious.
The drive shafts it appears that the one with the most slop was serviceable ( changing it made no difference to the vibration ) , and the one that appeared to be serviceable , was the problem shaft probably out of balance / had a knock at some time in its life.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just thought I would share this , in case it helps anyone with a similar problem.
Purchased a owner vehicle 80k on the clock nice clean car however.
Had a vibration between 57-65 mph which appeared coming from mid to rear , as opposed to coming through the steering wheel.
The car needed needed new tires so took a punt and purchased the vehicle, thinking that this probably was the source of the vibration so changed all 4 and had them balanced , No improvement.
Had a good look around all CV boots intact with no slop when pulling & pushing. Noticed rust around the Prop shaft rear hardiy spicer joint , disconnected and found it to be
very tight in one direction , so changed the prop shaft .Some improvement in as much as the vibration , now felt it was towards the front of the vehicle.
I then took another look at the front Drive shafts while still on the vehicle , out f the two the Drivers side ( shorter shaft ) had some movement , once off the vehicle it was showing evidence of excessive play so I replaced it . No improvement .
I focused on the Passenger Drive shaft , and although there was no slop evident on the vehicle , and even once off there was minimal play , however I changed it out . PROBLEM SOLVED VIBRATION GONE.

Obviously purchasing a vehicle with 80k , you will not know the history / background , as opposed to owning a vehicle for a long time where a problem developed, is a different "kettle of fish".
As an 80k vehicle I expected some issues, so identifying issues and getting them sorted is to be expected.
The tries and the prop shaft were the most obvious.
The drive shafts it appears that the one with the most slop was serviceable ( changing it made no difference to the vibration ) , and the one that appeared to be serviceable , was the problem shaft probably out of balance / had a knock at some time in its life.
Ditto Buffalo4, Fine Post.

A question though, Can you tell if the bad shaft was a replacement? Some after-market shafts, although supposed to be new, just vibrate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have seen all the horror stories on none OEM parts .
The short answer is I don't know, I got my shafts through a pal in the trade , the shaft was a service exchange / refurbished units ,
So with reference to OEM or Aftermarket its a bit of a lottery as to what you get .
To be honest as I am the new owner of the car I can't guarantee that the shafts which were replaced were not aftermarket :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts