Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my CRV to have the tires rotated and the coolant flushed yesterday and they told me that my power steering fluid was dirty and they strongly recommended that it get changed. I don't want to pay the $200 they wanted to change me since I think its something I can do myself. Any suggestions on the easiest way to get the job done? I want to make sure its getting done right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It’s a 2011. It has 147,000 miles
Thanks.

I have a '07 Ridgeline with 134,000.

I found on the Ridgeline forums a procedure to change out the PS fluid easily at home.

- I have not looked at a schematic for your '11 but I'm sure it's a similar procedure -

Tools needed: A cooking baster never to be used for food again, three bottles of Honda PS fluid and a gallon jug to put the expended (old) PS fluid in.

The concept is to take the protective cover off of the PS fluid reservoir, use the baster to remove as much old PS fluid as you can and fill it to the 'full' line with new PS fluid.

Start your CRV and turn your steering wheel fully right to left and back several times, turn off the ignition and repeat the procedure.

After several bottles of fluid have been 'exchanged' (three is best) you should have 95% new fluid in the reservoir.

I have done this procedure myself and it does work well (at least on a Ridgeline) - since they are both Hondas I would think this will work for your CR-V as well.

Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts