Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local guy is selling rims he says were new car take-offs in 2011 (pics look to be true representation) The question is do they fit my 2013 ??? 17 x 6.5 with hub measurements/bolt pattern of 5" x 114.3mm !! They'd be perfect for Winter tires !! Thanks Craig

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike !! I'll buy a used set of Blizzaks off CL for how little I'll drive in bad weather so the question becomes - "how far can I deviate from 225/65/17 before the electronics explode" ?? Craig

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I think you'll have to get another set of the transducers that send the signal to the computer, Craig.
They'll have to be programmed into the computer of the car in order for the TPS to work.
If I had to worry about winter tires, I think I'd live with the light on, on the dash, rather than futz with the computer etc.
That's just me though. I do have a digital tire pressure gauge and I use it on a regular basis too, if you catch my drift.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
579 Posts
You mean to tell me that TPMS is dependent on tire diameter ??? Geez, some people's cars !! C
No, not dependent on size.

This is just my opinion, but if I had to live with only one set of TPMS valves, I would put them into my winter wheels. Remember that you can't turn VSC off with an TPMS error light. You'll probably never need to turn it off in the summer.

If you have TPMS valves in both set of wheels, the car's computer has to be re-programmed twice a year.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much, guys !! I guess I better study up on the system - I thought it was a small chip in the valve stem/cap which sent the signal. I'm confused !! CCL

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
I thought it was a small chip in the valve stem/cap which sent the signal.
It is....but the Honda TPMS system can only recognize one set of transducers at a time. So, you will either need to have a dealer or tire store reset it each time you change over, or (as Miko said) put it on one set of wheels and ignore the light when the 'non-conforming' tires are installed.

Or if you don't mind spending mo' money, buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think these companies have gone way overboard when it comes to "practical" tech !! You can take the TPMS out and put the money into better quality seating !! Flat tires are a rarity these days IMO. I understand it for race cars, but in this application, a complete waste of tech knowledge and money !! JMHO> I can live with a dash light on for half the year. Craig

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting to read a few of the reviews on the home "reset the code" unit as you need to know the numbers of each sensor in order to use it to shut off the light !! Another local guy is selling a complete set of 2012 wheels/tires with transducers but doesn't mention whether he has the numbers or not !! Might be an interesting point to use in price negotiation !!! Where exactly is the transducer located ?? I wonder how one gets a set of numbers for a set that didn't come on his car !! Questions....questions !!! Fortunately, you guys are wizards !! Thanks again !! Craig

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you have the sensors in your hand, you can read the sensor ids (ie 8 hex numbers/letters) as they are on each sensor. Each sensor id needs to be loaded into the CRVs ECU/control unit by some device at the dealer, a tire shop, or by something like the ATEQ Quickset unit. The process is pretty straightforward. A nice feature of the Quickset is that its software (on your PC) will hold 2 sets of sensor ids, so in theory, if you have summer wheels with sensors, and winter wheels with sensors, you can simply upload the sensor ids when you swap wheels. That way your TPMS light will not come on, as you will have uploaded the correct sensor ids to the CRV. I bought the ATEQ Quickset unit, but it would not upload the sensor IDs into my 08 CRV, so I returned it for a refund. I found the Quickset software and process simple to understand and follow, but after a dozen or so attempts, it never worked, not even a single time. I had to have a local tire shop reprogram the CRV with the correct sensor ids. My experience was on my 08. I do not know if the process changed on newer models.

If the sensors are in the mounted wheels, then you need a device to "read" the sensor ids that you cannot see. The Quickset cannot do this. It can only load the known sensor ids to the ECU, via the OBD II port, if it works properly. That's why, with the Quickset tool, you need to know the sensor ids ahead of time.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have two sets of wheels. TPMS sensor valves in both. Considered getting an ATEQ tool. But have read good and bad about them. And with my luck, I'd have problems. :mad:

Decided to continue letting my dealer reset things twice a year. Don't know how long the batteries in the sensors will last. Not sure what I'll do when they die. Replace them? Probably not.

This will be last car with this system for sure. CRV"s have changed. ESCAPE's let you reset codes yourself. Not sure about other manufacturers. This will be on my priority look-for list when the time comes to replace my CRV.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As long as you guys are such wizards, please explain to me or show me where I can find a schematic or diagram of the system parts !! Are these part of the wheel or valve stem or ??? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I had no clue as to what these systems were all about !! How much do dealers charge to set the codes for the "other" set of rims ?? How often do batteries need replacing ?? Does this involve breaking down the rim ?? 57 years of driving and never once had a flat "while driving" !!! Technology, schmecknology !!! Thanks as always. Craig

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
Decided to continue letting my dealer reset things twice a year.
Sorry that the ATEQ tool wasn't working for everyone. If I had known I would not have mentioned it. I see that a 'better' tool is available for $239 USD. It's a slippery slope...

@driveski, how much is the dealer charging you to update the V?

++++++++++

Regards batteries in the wheel units: I read that the batteries are only 'required' to have a 5 year life. Again, it's luck. some last longer, some don't.

Prices are coming down on the transducer units tho'. I see that TireRack has them for ~$28 ea USD. Don't know if those are compatible with the V's system.

·
Registered
868 Posts
@driveski, how much is the dealer charging you to update the V?
Last two times it was $19 for the job. Honda dealer's service dept. Before that, I think I paid $28. Price coming down? Is that good news or what? :D

Not exactly sure which Honda models still require that.

magnumpii ,

TPMS sensors are part of special valves. Different models for different rims. Battery life advertised as 5 to 7 years. But not including shelf life. Sensors are turned on by wheel rotation. Batteries cannot be replaced. Have to get a new unit, then reprogram the computer.

Whole system sucks. $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Ski, sure sounds that way !! I just may drive with the dash light on for the life of the car !! Craig

·
Registered
76 Posts
For 2008 the Honda TMPS system is half-baked, bordering on useless, in my opinion. We have an 08 TSX also, and that one automatically reads the sensors installed in the wheels. Acura did it right the first time.
We have a 2011 CRV too. I have not figured out yet if it's the same system carried forward from 08, or if they finally did it right.

I also have 2 sets of 08 wheels, with sensors in both. Dealer wants $50 to reprogram each time I swap the wheels.
My local tire shop, where I'm a regular customer, does it at no charge.
Sensor batteries last 5-7 years, then you throw the sensors away.
If you want to see what the sensor valve unit looks like, there's plenty to view on eBay.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Interesting to read a few of the reviews on the home "reset the code" unit as you need to know the numbers of each sensor in order to use it to shut off the light !! Another local guy is selling a complete set of 2012 wheels/tires with transducers but doesn't mention whether he has the numbers or not !! Might be an interesting point to use in price negotiation !!! Where exactly is the transducer located ?? I wonder how one gets a set of numbers for a set that didn't come on his car !! Questions....questions !!! Fortunately, you guys are wizards !! Thanks again !! Craig
I have two sets of tires/wheels each with their own sensors, I have the TPM Quickset tool Carbuff2 posted, when I change tires/wheels, I swap the stored codes from the tool. The sensor codes are printed on the side of the TPMS sensor. To get the code from your OE sensors, have a tire shop break the bead and flex the sidewall of the tire down to expose the sensor, use the camera on your phone (everyone has a camera phone?)to get a pic. I believe some shops can get the code electronically, but I am not 100% certain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have two sets of tires/wheels each with their own sensors, I have the TPM Quickset tool Carbuff2 posted, when I change tires/wheels, I swap the stored codes from the tool. The sensor codes are printed on the side of the TPMS sensor. To get the code from your OE sensors, have a tire shop break the bead and flex the sidewall of the tire down to expose the sensor, use the camera on your phone (everyone has a camera phone?)to get a pic. I believe some shops can get the code electronically, but I am not 100% certain.
I could not get the ATEQ Quickset tool (around $150) to work for my 08 EX. (It does not read the sensor ids from inside the wheels - it reads the sensor ids from the ECU and can upload sensor ids to the ECU, when it works properly). I worked for a long time with the vendor's tech support guys and still could not get it to work. Therefore, I returned it for a refund. What model year are you getting it to work correctly on?

You do not need to break the tire bead to view the sensor to get the sensor id. All tire shops, the dealer, etc will have the tool to "read" the sensor id by positioning the hand held tool near the tire valve and then displaying the sensor info.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,056 Posts
The 'high end' Quikset tool I posted about earlier, is supposed to be able to read the codes without physically seeing them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts