Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a cheap one from amazon it worked fine for few years but now it slips on the filter. It's a filter cap wrench. 64mm i think?

I never thought much of the oil filter wrench since it does not clamp down on the filter until you turn it by then your out of room to keep turning.

Motivx Tools makes some nice ones but not for Honda.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Spend the money and get the real thing: Honda cap wrench, p/n 07AAA-PLCA100, about $25. Needs a 3/8" ratchet.

For use with oil filter part numbers 15400-PLM-A01 and 15400-PLM-A02 (and probably the newest one, -A03).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use oil filter plier, so far so good. Cap wrench from my experiences tend to not fit certain oil filter, or they slip/loose grip when the filter have some oil on the housing.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
399 Posts
I say you all must be over torquing those filters. Maybe I just have strong hands. That fat rubber seal just needs to contact base plus maybe 1 turn.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Since I buy only Mobil 1 filters (I've gotten through the terrible Fram filters I bought on sale), the end cap wrench has worked fine for me since the 90s. I am pretty sure I bought them at the auto parts store. Nice and thick, and fit perfectly. But I really do need to get some of those filter pliers, in case I come across a car where the filter is stuck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
These filter plier haven't failed me yet. Despite hand tightening the filter when install, at time of changing, seems like the filter become more tighten, which make it difficult to loosen by hand (atleast for me).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts