Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2011 tyre wear quick

2139 21
Ok this is my query.
2011 CRV....2.2 i dtec
tyres seem to last 20,000 miles, current fronts are at around 2-2.5mm after 20,000 so first set done 20,000 too.

Now why do they wear so quickly, 20,000 miles to me is way low compared to other 4x4 cars. Car is 40,000 miles mint one owner from new which is me the second and is checked every 6 months from Honda everything is perfect, no tracking issues etc.

I dont do motorways or A roads, Im 90% local city areas short trips.

Ive got the OEM grantek st30 on all four and will be replacing them with same in few weeks.
These cost around £130.00 each in uk which is a lot for a tyre IMO but I have seen budget tyres for half that price...Does it make that much of a difference in the budget ones compared to these Grantek st30's?
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might do that but will it make a difference as back 2 are dunlop st30
also why do honda use them...they must have good points for them to use them as standard, or am I wrong?

· Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,660 Posts
All carmakers, including Honda, choose the OEM tires they put on at the assembly line based on the cost per unit of trainloads available. It is not based on tire quality. If it was, in the US they certainly wouldn't be coming with Hankooks. Also, you should never run mixed tires, they present all kinds of issues, including safety. Go get yourself a set of 4 identical high quality tires. You will have a whole different, better, experience. I would never risk my own safety or that of my family on mixed tires or poor ones. And in my experience, the best tires are more economical, as they last longer. They are also safer and more reliable.

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points your raise,oem isnt always best.

My problem now is my back tyres are on around 7mm each but the fronts are more 2.5-3mm, so if I dont get dunlop st30 for the front which will then match the back ......
I will be changing back 2 tyres for nothing, which at £130 each ($173) is not something Im going to do.
You would be surprised how many people in england ignore tyres until they under legal limit of 1.6mm

· Registered
311 Posts
Good points your raise,oem isnt always best.

My problem now is my back tyres are on around 7mm each but the fronts are more 2.5-3mm, so if I dont get dunlop st30 for the front which will then match the back ......
I will be changing back 2 tyres for nothing, which at £130 each ($173) is not something Im going to do.
You would be surprised how many people in england ignore tyres until they under legal limit of 1.6mm
Are you rotating your tires at the recommended intervals?

· Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,660 Posts
Where I live we have to get an annual inspection, and they check that, among a host of other things - emissions, brakes, lights, even window tint, etc. And they do a test drive for safety checks.

· Registered
2,600 Posts
Just a story to show how the quality of tires can vary.
My daughter had a '98 Accord that she really took pride in. We'd found it used with really good maint' records and it was clean as a whistle too.
She put a set of tires on it soon after she got it. I'd been running Yokohama's on my commuter cars with fairly good luck mileage wise. She bought a set of them in the stock size and promptly wore them out in 30k miles of commuting. Now, she wasn't checking tire pressures monthly, or rotating them on a regular basis either to my knowledge. I think it was something she let me do when she'd come home for a visit.
She replaced them with a set of Michelin's which, while costing twice as much per tire, lasted her until she decided she needed a new car. This was well past another 30k miles had passed too.
My experience has been that a tire with a V rating will last longer than a lower rated tire. It will hold the tread firmer so it won't squirm around on the road and thus won't wear out as fast. Often times I think the mfg's put a tire on that is too small for the vehicle as well. Kind of like they skimp on the battery sizes. In my daughter's case, she put the same size tire on her 4-cyl car as I had on my V-6 sedan and the tires lasted a lot longer. The first tires she put on it were 'stock' size, which was smaller.
I'll have to admit, our CR-V is the first Honda that has what I consider the 'right' size tire on it, other than the two V-6 Honda's we've had. I am really enjoying driving my wife's CR-V now that it has Michelin's on it.

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Where I live we have to get an annual inspection, and they check that, among a host of other things - emissions, brakes, lights, even window tint, etc. And they do a test drive for safety checks.
I get the car checked at the honda dealers near me every 6 months, I know them well ... they said at 3mm they would advise to change them. didnt mention rotating .
Im doing 3000 miles a year in this CRV... as Im mostly in the works van

· Registered
311 Posts
Are you rotating your tires at the recommended intervals?
I have not done this...isnt this better if all 4 tyres are changed at the same time, or what is the purpose.

Is it a case of fronts wear quicker ergo change them at a certain point?
Most people will change all 4 tires out at the same time. It is recommended.

If you just bought 2 new tires a year ago and they only have 6,000 miles on them then you could keep them mounted.

All tires need to be the same dimensions and should be the same tread pattern.

You are right, fronts wear faster than rears and rotating at 5,000-6,000 mile intervals will extend the life of all 4 tires (and its even possible to buy a new spare and combine it into the rotation).

Higher priced tires usually last longer.

Mountain driving and city driving with alot of turning will wear tires out much faster than highway driving.

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont check em very often but I know I should as the computer only gives a warning when they TOO low, reason is...they were all at 32/33 and 6 months later i checked, they still the same so I thought being as Im doing 3000 a years, just check them every 6 months.

Probably not best idea

· Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,564 Posts
George, doesn't your UK CR-V have a Maintenance Minder? If it does, one of the codes should be a suggestion to rotate the tires front to back.

AFAIK this code would be coming up every 8 - 10K miles.

On a low annual mileage car like yours, a rotation at every annual oil change seems appropriate. (Remember, the MM counts running conditions for engine oil, but Honda recommends changing oil YEARLY if the 'service wrench' doesn't illuminate.)

· Registered
311 Posts
I dont check em very often but I know I should as the computer only gives a warning when they TOO low, reason is...they were all at 32/33 and 6 months later i checked, they still the same so I thought being as Im doing 3000 a years, just check them every 6 months.

Probably not best idea
George,

Your tire pressure of 32/33 should have been OK.

When you buy the new tires, and the service center inspects your old ones they should be able to give you better recommendations.

Sorry I cannot explain why your treads had uneven wear when your pressure appears to have been consistently good.

Is all of your driving on asphalt? One other thing that can result in rapid tire wear is driving on gravel surfaces.

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
George, doesn't your UK CR-V have a Maintenance Minder? If it does, one of the codes should be a suggestion to rotate the tires front to back.

AFAIK this code would be coming up every 8 - 10K miles.

On a low annual mileage car like yours, a rotation at every annual oil change seems appropriate. (Remember, the MM counts running conditions for engine oil, but Honda recommends changing oil YEARLY if the 'service wrench' doesn't illuminate.)
Hi....

It does have this on the computer and car is checked for any faults every 6 months as Honda garage is 5 miles away and highly rated, but not had any messages.

I think this must be to do with the fact Ive only done 5,500 miles since I got it, Im second owner from Brand new. Both me and previous owner do not use back seats for loads or tow ever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.