Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the electronic remote assembly in my key. I reprogrammed the remote to control the locks, however, now the car will not start. I looked up the problem in the manual and the key icon on the dashboard indicates the fuel was shut off due to the car sensing the key was not properly programed. I switched back to the old electronic key assembly and the car now starts. The new electronics assembly will unlock and lock the car. So know I have to carry the new electronic assembly along with my existing broken key assembly in order to have remote ability and still be able to start my car.

Anyone know how to work around this issue? The dealer wants $160 to reprogram the key, which is criminal.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I replaced the electronic remote assembly in my key. I reprogrammed the remote to control the locks, however, now the car will not start. I looked up the problem in the manual and the key icon on the dashboard indicates the fuel was shut off due to the car sensing the key was not properly programed. I switched back to the old electronic key assembly and the car now starts. The new electronics assembly will unlock and lock the car. So know I have to carry the new electronic assembly along with my existing broken key assembly in order to have remote ability and still be able to start my car.

Anyone know how to work around this issue? The dealer wants $160 to reprogram the key, which is criminal.
Just to be clear, You replaced number 18 on the diagram" 2011 Honda CR-V 5 Door EX (2WD) KA 5AT Combination Switch

If so, Why?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,117 Posts
You still need to reprogram the immobilizer to accecpt the RFID code. This requires a bidirectional scanner that has this capability and a working orginal key. Most automotive locksmiths can do this. If you don't have a working orginal key only the dealer can help.

·
Premium Member
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Your new keys are not being recognized by the immobilizer. Why? There is an RFID (radio frequency ID) chip in each key and every time you start the car, the computer first broadcasts a code and listens for an answer from the RFID chip in the key. Your car's computer does not recognize the new key's chips so 'no start for you'.

As Traylaw said above, a computer or special electronic device is needed; this is not a DIY job. Some locksmiths have this ability. Supposedly, some hardware stores do too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, be glad you didn't throw the old assembly away...

The last car I had to do this on was a Peugeot, all it had was a little black chip in the casing, I prized that chip out, put it in the new casing and all was good. It could be a similar process for yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the all of the insight.
Any opinions as to what a reasonable cost to have the dealer or locksmith to the reprogramming should be?

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
474 Posts
Likely will be way overpriced at dealer. One option is to remove the chip from the old fob and put it in the new one. Not sure if that is even possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can definitely take the RFID chip out of the old key and put it in the new key. I did this myself which is why i confirm it will work. Open the top plastic part of the key but be careful because it is sometimes a little glass tube the shape of a grain of rice but larger. You can also get an auto locksmith to but a blank RFID chip in the new key and copy from the old key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I paid $50 to have the key coded to the car. There are apparently two types of keys, one type that can be cloned with a small handheld device and then non-clonable where they plug in a device to the ODBII port in the car and "add" the key to the car. My locksmith tried the first, didn't work, did the second and it worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts