Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a Gen 3 or 4 CR-V. If the budget permits, I was going to try to go for a 2012+ model. I'm aware of a noise at startup with some of the Gen 4 models. I also seen some reports seen a few reports of those having low heat temperature which is remedied my a lengthy cooling system flush. I wonder how prevalent this is? Doesn't seem to be many reports, but maybe enough to be a concern. Those I've read about though, seem to happen at relatively low miles, under 50k or so. Also once the repair is done, is it unlikely that the trouble will recur?

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,986 Posts
I have had my 2013 since new and never had any issues with the heat. I do occasionally have the noise at start up but it causes no long term problems. I’m now at 107,xxx miles and have only had to do routine maintenance and replaced the rear struts. It’s an excellent vehicle that I plan to drive for several more years.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,039 Posts
The 17’s had low heater output complaints, but not the generation you are looking at AFAIK

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,986 Posts
The 17’s had low heater output complaints, but not the generation you are looking at AFAIK
There were some issues with the 2012 and some 2013 MY where the heater core was clogged and the drivers side wouldn’t get heat. That’s all that I can recall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were some issues with the 2012 and some 2013 MY where the heater core was clogged and the drivers side wouldn’t get heat. That’s all that I can recall.
That's what I was referring to. Maybe it's not very common. Good to know only routine maintenance with yours so far.
Maybe that was a different situation. Ironically some newer engines are very efficient, running at a lower temperature which can mean less heat output. If it was just the 2017 though, probably a different reason.

My '99 Accord (yes not made in this century!) has great heat and recently great air conditioning since it was charged. I've been using it for a 72 mile round trip commute for work but would really like to have a generation 3 or 4 CR-V. I was considering a Subaru Forester but way too many potential troubles with those. I like the Honda Fit, but it snows in my area and would think that could be troublesome with the Fit if it wasn't plowed, which is sometimes the case with my street.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,039 Posts
Thank you For that. As a 16 owner, that was before my time....

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 2012 had the heater core issue fixed January 2019 and still okay. Trans shudder detected at 134,000 kms July 2017 and kept at bay by doing fluid changes every 25,000 kms ( now at 217,000 kms ). Biggest expense to date was replacing the propeller shaft at $2200....what ever happened to replacing U Joints for $6 ( I'm showing my age ).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After posting this saw several topics on this forum about the heater situation. Hopefully it is a rare occurrence, and once it's done that'll be it. Three years later and still okay is a good sign.

I'm showing my age also when I say I changed the spark plugs on my first car with a 283 Chevy V8.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a Gen 3 or 4 CR-V. If the budget permits, I was going to try to go for a 2012+ model. I'm aware of a noise at startup with some of the Gen 4 models. I also seen some reports seen a few reports of those having low heat temperature which is remedied my a lengthy cooling system flush. I wonder how prevalent this is? Doesn't seem to be many reports, but maybe enough to be a concern. Those I've read about though, seem to happen at relatively low miles, under 50k or so. Also once the repair is done, is it unlikely that the trouble will recur?
It is caused by the coating inside the heater core coming off and plugging up the flow. Take a temperature reading at each side, and if the driver's side is much lower, you need the flush. The dealer uses CLR (1 Gal) and loops it through the core with a heated pump for an hour. They will give you a price up front. If one cycle doesn't work, they will repeat the process.
I had to have it done on my 14.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read about the procedure and that dealerships I believe were advised to have the equipment needed for the process via a TSB. It sounds like then, if I was to purchase a CR-V that had the process done, the trouble isn't likely to occur once the coating comes off the heater core. It's better than having to replace the heater core as with the Mazda CX-5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts