Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

Newb to the forum (wasn't too sure how active forums are anymore now that most folk have swapped to bookface) and to the CR-V platform. I'm looking to buy a 2012 EX-L tomorrow and noticed that the 2015s have different headlights, grille, bumper, and fog lights. How hard is it to do a nose conversion? I've heard that the 2014 is the last year before the CR-V went to the CVT transmission, and I want to steer clear of that. So, pre-2015s are what I've been looking for.

You can't do the updated headlights without doing the grille, because the 2015 headlights are bigger than the 2012-2014 ones... but you can do the 2015 headlights and grille, without having to do the updated bumper.

Is there a parts list that tells you all of the brackets needed to do this swap? Is it a common swap? Thank you!

Also, would love to see some pics of modded 4th gens for inspiration. I'm buying this as my new daily driver, but plan to do a few small mods to it - to make it stand out. :D

EDIT:
Alright, ordered a few things from eBay and Amazon; going to see how all this plays out before spending some big bucks on OEM parts...
Picked up these DEPO 2015/2016 Touring Headlights
Also picked up this 2015/2016 grille replacement

In order to get the headlights to work without cutting up my factory headlight harness, I've ordered several different connectors to make my own custom wiring harness:
2012-2014 bulbs ordered the male connectors for the low/high beam bulbs
Low/High Beam - 9003

2015/2016 bulbs (ordered the female connectors for these)
Low Beam - H11
High Beam - 9005
Turn Signal - 6189-0887
DRL - 6189-0968

Tire Wheel Car Hood Automotive lighting

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,133 Posts
Is there a parts list that tells you all of the brackets needed to do this swap?
Look at the parts lists on an online Honda dealer.

EG, Shop Genuine Honda OEM Parts & Accessories Online - Bernardi Parts Honda

or

If the part # is different (as for mounting brackets) they ARE different.

PS, if you think you want to go ahead with the swap, used parts might be a way to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at the parts lists on an online Honda dealer.

PS, if you think you want to go ahead with the swap, used parts might be a way to go.
Thank you! Didn't think about cross-checking the part numbers, that's great. I've been sourcing a few parts already (used OEM) but just wasn't sure what all I needed. You gave me a good starting point.

Additionally, I may poke around for some Mugen or Modulo bumpers/grilles (not sure if those are available for the 2015 or not) so I can do a total refresh on the front end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS, Look in the DIY/Mods section for pics of other Gen4s...for inspiration.
Is there a way to search for a 4th Gen CR-V specific DIY thread? Kinda funny that all the gens are clumped into one giant thread for engine performance, DIY mods, appearance, etc...

It'd make it a lot easier to find year specific products/jobs. Either way, thanks for the help (again)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Personally, I'd save the money as opposed to doing facelift surgery.

Its not like you "gain" anything :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True, it's just cosmetic but I'm okay with that though. :D

The updated headlights do come with projectors, whereas the 2012's do not. So the light output should be a lot more focused. I plan to install either HIDs or LEDs at some point, and I'm sure everyone on the road will thank me for not putting those into a reflective headlight housing!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,133 Posts
Personally, I'd save the money as opposed to doing facelift surgery.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (Or is it "Beer Holder"?)

We have helped @Sprocketeer find what he wants.

Sounds as if an off-road Bull Bar and an LED light bar that is 4 feet across would "gain" something. :giggle: 😇 J/K

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2012 EX-L and hit a deer a couple of weeks ago. This might have been a good time to upgrade to the newer style front and headlights, but insurance is covering it so I'm going with the 2012 stuff.

The 2012-2014 headlights are pretty crappy, without much light output from either high or low beams. I upgraded the bulbs to brighter ones, which helped, but still not as good as the later projectors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2012-2014 headlights are pretty crappy, without much light output from either high or low beams. I upgraded the bulbs to brighter ones, which helped, but still not as good as the later projectors.
Yeah, I hear ya. I got the headlights in last week, they look really good but all of my harness connectors haven't shown up yet (supposed to be here today or tomorrow). I don't mind the low beams so much on the 2012 headlights, but the high beams are awful. I'm going to try to find a way to keep the fog lights on whenever the high beams are engaged too. Hopefully someone has already figured that out for me!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Looking good. For anyone looking for a simpler swap - 2012-2014 European HID projector headlights would be a direct fit with probably some harness mod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking good. For anyone looking for a simpler swap - 2012-2014 European HID projector headlights would be a direct fit with probably some harness mod.
Wish I would've known about that, however I still can't really find those for sale stateside. I did this as a proof of concept, I plan to get real OEM touring headlights in the future.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Wish I would've known about that, however I still can't really find those for sale stateside.
Someone sold those here a while ago, I think it was last year, no-one was interested. So they do exist. Ebay is always a source.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are your concerns with the Depot headlights?
The only concern I really have is the lenses fading over time from the sun, that's it. I've used DEPO headlights before (several times) and they've always been great. I just prefer to have OEM when possible. I wasn't sure how these were going to look/work, so I wanted to go with DEPO first, before dropping $800ish dollars for OEM.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
23 Posts
I'd love to do this to my '12. Something to consider, if your car goes into the bodyshop for an insurance claim repair, the shop is most likely (like 99% sure) only going to be able to order you headlights for your year, not for the 2015 or 2016 model years.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
23 Posts
The only concern I really have is the lenses fading over time from the sun, that's it. I've used DEPO headlights before (several times) and they've always been great. I just prefer to have OEM when possible. I wasn't sure how these were going to look/work, so I wanted to go with DEPO first, before dropping $800ish dollars for OEM.
You can always use a chemical product to seal the lenses, whether it is a dedicated headlight sealant, a ceramic coating, or just keep up on sealing the lenses with what you would use to seal your paint and glass (like a 'wax' etc.). You could also install some laser cut headlight protection film.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts