Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the oil on my 2012 EX 2WD I noticed what looks like grease (or oil) seeping out of the right driveshaft support bearing. I first observed this at 7500 miles and took the car back to the dealer for them to check it out. They said the problem was not the bearing but due to a defective o-ring related to the oil filter mounting bracket. This seemed a bit odd since there was no other evidence of oil residue anywhere else to be seen except on the driveshaft bearing. But the dealer insisted this was the problem and claimed they replaced the o-ring although I could find absolutely no evidence they did anything to the car.

Now at 16,700 miles I observed exactly the same grease/oil residue on the bearing - see attached photo.

Has anyone experienced this on their CR-V? Is this typical and if so is there a long term reliability concern regarding depletion of the bearing grease? I plan to take it back to a different dealer but it would be a huge help if anyone else has experienced this issue and has some info to share.

rsz_dscn1846.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I know with my 2000 I get oil all over the left driveshaft when I remove the oil filter. Not sure where the filter is located on a 2012, but I know they changed the orientation from sideways to up and down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I agree it looks like oil particularly the accumulation on the bottom of the housing. It's hard to see in the photo but there is a coating of grease/oil on the outside of the seal itself and it appears it is draining down to the bottom of the mount. The oil filter is nearby but I checked it and it was completely dry itself as was the area around it. Also I think it is far enough away from the bearing that it is very unlikely replacing the filter would be a cause of this. Also when I look at the driveshaft seal on the gear box it is completely dry and clean.

·
Registered
374 Posts
GreenMachine, the bearing you pictured is failing. I had the same thing happening on my wife's '09 Accord. It's a straight-forward replacement (and I was surprised that my Honda dealer replaced the entire half-shaft, not just the bearing). Print a copy of your pic and give it to your service advisor. Warranty item, of course. Takes about two hours.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply, Ratchet. Hopefully the other Honda dealer in my area will provide a better response than the dealer I purchased the car from. I'll be taking it in soon to get this taken care of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I can't see their being oil coming out of the bearing. I changed my half shaft bearing on my 2006 crv. It's basically a sealed bearing, race filled with grease. The seal is there only to protect the bearing from dirt and grit. I'd say you've got an oil leak from above that point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just check that the oil isn't coming along the half shaft from the gearbox, because if it is, that will be a premature worn seal on the gearbox.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take a closer look at the half shaft but I did look at the bearing seal on the gearbox and it was clean and dry so I don't think that is the problem. The support bearing/seal is "wet" around the full circumference and it looks like it drains down to the bottom of the mount. Also everything else in the general area is clean and dry, no sign of any oil leaks from other places.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm traveling now but when I get back home I am going to take another look at all the possibilities that were suggested and anything else I can think of. It seems that for the most part folks are leaning towards some other source of the oil/grease on the bearing rather than a defective bearing/seal. Does that also mean this bearing in your cars is dry and clean? Thanks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is your picture taken from the oil filter side?

Here's a pic of my RH driveshaft support seen from the RH front wheel well. Seems dry and clean.

RH front drive shaft.jpg Seems dry and clean.

·
Registered
644 Posts
GreenMachine, after I took the picture of my CRV RH drive shaft, I noticed the entire RH face of the engine (timing chain cover) covered with oil. I took it to the dealer. Oil was leaking from the small black timing chain cover/plate just behind the crank pulley. Dealer said the Honda Bond seal has failed. They resealed and cleaned up that area. So, thank you for indirectly helping me discover a leak and get it fixed before it got worse.

My post is here (it's not the pressure switch. I couldn't edit the original title): http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/62994-2014-crv-oil-leak-oil-pressure-switch-area.html

Could a similar leak be causing oil to smear/splash onto your RH axle bearing support?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Following up on my issue with the bearing seal issue. I got the car into a different local dealer and told them about the problem and my experience at the other dealer. The first reaction of the service advisor was it was probably from a messy oil change but I explained the history of this issue and he agreed that was not the cause. He wrote it up and had a mechanic look at it. Later that day he called and told it is the bearing leaking grease/oil. The good news was he said they would order the parts and replace the bearing under warranty (2012 with 17,800 miles).
It took a week to get the parts and I brought the car in today. They actually replaced the entire half shaft & center support bearing assembly. Driving home the car drove fine and seemed to run smoother than before but I need to drive it more to see if there really is a difference. Perhaps I'm jumping to a conclusion but I am thinking maybe the leaking bearing was caused by a half shaft that had a slight bend. That bend could cause a vibration and excessive stress on the bearing and it's seal. Pure speculation right now but I am going to keep an eye on the new bearing and see how it holds up. In the meantime I am happy the parts were replaced and really happy with this dealer service team doing the right thing and working with me to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was this bearing making any noise? The one on my wife's 2012 has a similar build up and it is making a HORRIBLE noise when backing up. I have an appointment for it tomorrow am, the second unscheduled visit in less than a month (heater not providing heat 3 weeks ago). I am not happy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thewifescar,

No, it was not making any noises (at least that I could hear). Your car sounds really bad and it should be a no brainer for the dealer to agree to replace the bearing. BTW, how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That sure sounds like something is rubbing on the brake backing plate shield. If it's the bearing, YIKES!

·
Registered
10 Posts
While changing the oil on my 2012 EX 2WD I noticed what looks like grease (or oil) seeping out of the right driveshaft support bearing. I first observed this at 7500 miles and took the car back to the dealer for them to check it out. They said the problem was not the bearing but due to a defective o-ring related to the oil filter mounting bracket. This seemed a bit odd since there was no other evidence of oil residue anywhere else to be seen except on the driveshaft bearing. But the dealer insisted this was the problem and claimed they replaced the o-ring although I could find absolutely no evidence they did anything to the car.

Now at 16,700 miles I observed exactly the same grease/oil residue on the bearing - see attached photo.

Has anyone experienced this on their CR-V? Is this typical and if so is there a long term reliability concern regarding depletion of the bearing grease? I plan to take it back to a different dealer but it would be a huge help if anyone else has experienced this issue and has some info to share.

View attachment 34105

Thanks!
Greenmachine,

Sorry to hear about this. This seems unusual and we would like to look into your concerns in further detail. Please have your vehicle diagnosed at a local Honda dealership. If you require our assistance, please private message us with your full name, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan
Social Media Team
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Twitter: @HondaCustSvc

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jonathan,

Thanks for you reply. Please refer to my post in this thread dated Dec 9. I brought the car to the dealer and they agreed the bearing was leaking grease and replaced the bearing/half shaft assembly. I am hoping this resolves the problem and I will be checking the bearing at every oil change.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts