Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 AWD Read Differential Fluid Change?

22K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  agentl074 
#1 ·
Took my 2012 AWD with 33K miles in for an oil change and was told that it needed a transmission fluid change, which surprised me because every vehicle I have ever owned didn't need that done until at least 50K. I was told the CR-V's need it sooner because they don't have a transmission oil filter.

They also recommended I have the rear differential fluid changed soon. When does that need to be done and is there anything else I need to do to an AWD as I approach 36K?

#5 ·
Check the color and clarity of the atf on the dipstick. If there is any doubt, do a drain and fill yourself.
33K miles is about the right time to do a single drain and fill. Very easy to do and you do not even have to jack the crv up. There are how-to's in the forum.
It takes aprox 3 1/2 qts of Honda DW-1 atf.
There are also some good vids on youtube for doing the tranny and diffy fluid changes.
Some say Honda recommends diffy fluid changes at 15k miles, so you may want to check into that also.
If you get a screeching,rubbing,grinding or similar sound while doing slow tight turns, the diffy fluid needs to be changed ASAP. It takes less than 2 qts of Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid.
I think 30k miles was recommended on the older CRV's.

Or, just wait for the MM to tell you when to do it. Most trust it, many, like myself, prefer to do it our way. :eek:
Buffalo4

#8 ·
Took my 2012 AWD with 33K miles in for an oil change and was told that it needed a transmission fluid change, which surprised me because every vehicle I have ever owned didn't need that done until at least 50K. I was told the CR-V's need it sooner because they don't have a transmission oil filter.

They also recommended I have the rear differential fluid changed soon. When does that need to be done and is there anything else I need to do to an AWD as I approach 36K?
I bought my 2012 CRV AWD EXL new. I changed my differential fluid myself at 30,000 miles. I have a lift and it was a labor of love. Easy to do if you have the time. I also flushed my trans. fluid myself at 35,000 miles. I did the drain, fill..drive...drain, fill...drive...drain and fill to flush most of the old out. I plan on doing it at 100,000 miles again but may let the dealer do it as I am aging and hard to bend at times. I always preferred doing the maintenance I could do myself verses letting the dealer do it as then I know it is done correctly.

#10 · (Edited)
Honda

I know for the 2012, Honda recommends changing the transaxle and rear diff fluid every 30,000 miles. Some drive systems are harder on fluid than others -- or it could be the thing about the tranny oil filter (or lack thereof). I know Ford recommends changing the F/R diff fluid, transmission, and transfer case fluid at 150,000 for the pickups. It just depends. I believe that since the transaxle and rear differential act as the complete transmission system, they should both be done at the same time.

They should also do a motor oil change so they can reset the MM (ties all services into the oil life MM when reset -- as I've found out lol).

If you want to avoid the dealer, go to an ASE service center (call and ask if they service Hondas and can get Honda fluids). This will usually save you A LOT of money.

Here are the service recommendations from my local dealer.

Also, don't worry about the fuel injection service (it's not necessary with top tier fuel since it already has the STP or whatever in it -- just a money maker).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.