Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend drives a 2012 CR-V. It was running fine with no issues. A few days ago it wouldn’t start for her. The battery was dead. I pulled the battery and slow charged it. Put it back in and it fired right up. We drove it to dinner and when we came back out, it started but it was a slow turn over, like the battery was being drained. I had the battery and the alternator tested. Both tested good. I did some research and found that the A/C relay could be bad. Replaced it and still have the same problem after a slow charge. Any ideas on what to check next?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it the original battery or even the second one...if so its probably toast even if its tests as good. The OE battery in my 2012 lasted 4.5 years and I expect to have to replace the second one in 2021.
I’m not sure, but I didn’t know a battery could be bad and still tear good. I may just bight the bullet and buy a new to see if that fixes the problem

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Sitting around, not being driven much right now, due to the pandemic?

Once dead, many times a flooded cell starter battery will not return to health after being recharged. Heavy discharge of the battery can permanently damage the plates. Persistent undercharge state will also damage the plates prematurely.

What charger did you use, exactly?

How was it tested to insure it is still good? A simple voltage check is pointless. You need either an old school load test, or a new school dynamic impedance test to determine if the battery integrity is still good. The key things to be checked= CCA and plate impedance.

As suggested above.. you should check for an abnormal parasitic drain before taking next steps. This video provides a best practice approach to doing so.

·
Registered
255 Posts
True story...

I previously had a brand new 2009 vehicle that did the same thing. re: It drove good all week and parked it Friday night. Come Monday AM, its battery was dead / flat dead. Took back to the dealer and after lots of conversation, I had to tell them (yes - me telling them) to how to test it. If wondering, the battery tested good and alternator tested good during 2 previous visits. They kept blaming me for leaving things plugged into its aux port.

Here's how to test without fancy tools...
  • Charge up battery during Friday afternoon and ensure it starts good.
  • Friday night, manually disconnect its + post or - post - whichever is easiest to access.
  • Let vehicle sit "un-touched" all weekend. And, even until Tuesday PM - if you can.
  • Manually reconnect its battery post.
  • Try to re-start it.
If it immediately fires up, then good battery. If no go, then bad battery - regardless of its bench tests.

If wondering, the dealer replaced the brand new battery in my brand new vehicle - even though its original battery tested good on their test tools. And, they never did apologies to me - for being mouthy and telling me it was dumb way to test the battery. Ya. Topic for a different post...

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
True story...

I previously had a brand new 2009 vehicle that did the same thing. re: It drove good all week and parked it Friday night. Come Monday AM, its battery was dead / flat dead. Took back to the dealer and after lots of conversation, I had to tell them (yes - me telling them) to how to test it. If wondering, the battery tested good and alternator tested good during 2 previous visits. They kept blaming me for leaving things plugged into its aux port.

Here's how to test without fancy tools...
  • Charge up battery during Friday afternoon and ensure it starts good.
  • Friday night, manually disconnect its + post or - post - whichever is easiest to access.
  • Let vehicle sit "un-touched" all weekend. And, even until Tuesday PM - if you can.
  • Manually reconnect its battery post.
  • Try to re-start it.
If it immediately fires up, then good battery. If no go, then bad battery - regardless of its bench tests.

If wondering, the dealer replaced the brand new battery in my brand new vehicle - even though its original battery tested good on their test tools. And, they never did apologies to me - for being mouthy and telling me it was dumb way to test the battery. Ya. Topic for a different post...

Hope this helps.
Your test though.. may not show that you have a weak battery (ie: very limited reserve capacity in the battery, due to age degradation or damage).

A weak battery may very well, having sat unconnected and hence no parasitic drain, start your vehicle fine... yet not have sufficient reserve capacity left to start a week later after a week of normal starts, and stops and overnight sitting ... given you always have some low level normal parasitic drain in a gen4 CRV (gen5s are even worse for normal parasitic levels).

As for why your battery may have tested good at the dealer.. there could be a number of valid reasons... not worthy of trash talking the dealer over. For example.. you may have a latent plate defect.. that sometimes (yet not always) causes self-discharge in the battery when it sits unused. It would very likely test good on any dealer or auto parts store load tester...because it indeed still works, still has proper reserve capacity levels, yet has in intermittent short on one of the cells plates... which is aggravated on/off simply from normal daily bumps and jostles while driving. Yes.. it could be dealer incompetence.. but for something as routine as a battery integrity check.. I don't buy it.. especially when they get the same results multiple times.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
541 Posts
Hi I had a current drain on my 2007 crv. Found it was the Bluetooth module under the dash drivers side. Disconnected it and now no battery problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I don't remember our 08 to have anything bluetooth. Is that an aftermarket item?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not too sure why some folks try to defend my local dealer. Very strange - like my local dealer (stealer) Rep.

Like I said in my above post, the brand new vehicle had a brand new battery and it ran great every M-F. Let it sit all weekend and come Monday AM, its 100% disconnected battery was FLAT dead. When its disconnected, its impossible for parasite drain. And, I proved it to them - as it sat in their own parking lot. They finally replaced the factory battery (after my 3rd visit) with brand new replacement battery and it ran great for 10+ years afterwards. Yes. Batteries can test fine on machines when fully charge but they can have internal shorts, they do self drain themselves. If wondering, I never bought a vehicle from them again. In the long run, it was their huge financial loss....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts