Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very easy to change this filter BUT I am curious as to where the 'Need Too' is posted.
My owners manual states a warning is posted by the maintenance system when to replace.
I can't find it listed under the MENU for vehicle maintenance; so anyone know where it will appear ? maybe the dash................
Not very important but just would like to know.

Cheers, Adrian :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just change mine once a year. I don't remember ever seeing a specific MM item though. I do the air filter every 20k and the cabin every year, I live on a dirt road and it catches plenty of grime in that time. Leaves, pollen, bugs, dust, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..........
I checked both filters (16K, very clean) and vacuumed them. Have spares ready to go at 20K. Still curious about the vehicle maintenance message.............

Adrian

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think it's supposed to be done at 12,000 miles. I did mine cabin and engine filter at 19,000 and they were both filthy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
For such a small price for an item that has so much to offer, 12/15 thousand miles is a good schedule. Changing the cabin filter greatly increases AIRFLOW which in turn makes you a/c work so much better, and well worth the small price. They are available @ many parts stores, but I use only HONDA OEM, JMHO. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
The cabin filter was show up as a "sub" code 2 in the center display on the dash. The cabin filter and air filter are bundled together. When the MM calls for an A2 or B2 service the cabin and engine air filter are due for replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lizzurd,
Thanks, but do you really mean the display on the 'dash' my 2012 shows Maintenance Minder data using the 'MENUE' button and appears on a separate display screen that's not really the dash.
The 1, 2, etc. codes do however match the Service History Manual................
Maybe I am being too picky...............
Again thanks for your help; never seen a sub items yet with 16k+ miles.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
lizzurd,
Thanks, but do you really mean the display on the 'dash' my 2012 shows Maintenance Minder data using the 'MENU' button and appears on a separate display screen that's not really the dash.
The 1, 2, etc. codes do however match the Service History Manual................
Maybe I am being too picky...............
Again thanks for your help; never seen a sub items yet with 16k+ miles.

You can see required maintenance items on the i-mid or they will show is the picture i posted indicated on the same gauge that displays the odometer and trip computer. Page 270 and 271 of the owners manual.

The code will only show on either display when filter replacement is due.

Are you by chance changing your oil before it hits 15% and resetting the oil life? If this is the case you may never see the subcodes.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Attempt at clarification...

Are you by chance changing your oil before it hits 15% and resetting the oil life? If this is the case you may never see the subcodes.
My understanding is the sub codes are triggered by the oil life display getting to 15% which sets the Wrench and sub codes. So, if the the oil life is reset before 15%, either manually or even by a dealer with the HDS (Honda Data System), sub codes will never be displayed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks..............I should read the owners manual more!
As a retired Engineer I don't read the instructions!!
However just did read that if you rev the engine in N too much the power steering will over heat; that's hard to believe or understand.
I think the CRV steering stinks on the freeway anyway; lowering front tire pressure by 2 psi does help............
Adrian

·
Registered
17 Posts
For such a small price for an item that has so much to offer, 12/15 thousand miles is a good schedule. Changing the cabin filter greatly increases AIRFLOW which in turn makes you a/c work so much better, and well worth the small price. They are available @ many parts stores, but I use only HONDA OEM, JMHO. Good luck.
Where do you buy the Honda OEM cabin air filters? Can't trust if the ones advertised on Amazon are OEM or not!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Jeez, cabin air filters weren't even used 20 yrs ago and things were fine.
Almost any brand cabin air filter will probably give decent results, overall.
The big thing is, change it or inspect it on a regular basis.
I'm sure there are some that only buy Honda motor oil and Honda WW Solution. Sad.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
Where do you buy the Honda OEM cabin air filters? Can't trust if the ones advertised on Amazon are OEM or not!!
You could buy them from one of the online Honda parts dealers:

College Hills; Bernardi; Hondapartsnow; hondapartscheap; you get the picture.

Buffalo4 said:
Unless you or a passenger suffer from allergies. Then, the more-expensive activated charcoal definitely helps.

Hey Buffalo4, don't you remember the annoyance of leaves and other debris getting caught in the heater fan? :mad: Then going TICK-TICK-TICK for months until it finally fell out? LOL

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The big thing is, change it or inspect it on a regular basis.
I'm sure there are some that only buy Honda motor oil and Honda WW Solution. Sad.
Buffalo4
I sure do, but I also had that leaf-noise making problem in my 2003 ODY since the cabin air filter is AFTER the fan, and I imagine it is the same in a CRV.
I believe all air flow is through the evaporator because that is where the cabin air filter is. It does keep the evaporator from getting clogged by debris. :)
I tried the Fram Fresh Breeze cabin air filter and could tell no difference, but I live in a pretty clean air environment, overall.
Now I just look online for a quality cabin air filter at a low price.
I agree that if someone is bothered by allergies, etc, a high quality charcoal cabin air filter would probably help, but why buy OEM?
Buffalo4

·
Banned
806 Posts
In reference to the charcoal filters I personally don't think they make any difference at all with allergies. I have never bought one for my CR-V, but I do have them in my house being that is pretty much all I can get in the merv rating that I want. Furnace filters are $90 a pop and I change them every 6 months. Being someone that is allergic to everything, and yes I have had 3 scratch tests done and get shots every other week. I just buy either the OEM air filter or the Wix air filter for my CR-V.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I guess charcoal filters might just remove more odors, I don't know.
But why people will spend more money on an OEM cabin air filter than on a cheaper one that will do an equal or better job, is beyond me. Perhaps it is just easier than doing research on it?
Same type of people that believe that OEM is always best. Tell that to the Ody owners that believed the Honda OEM BS about their Z-1 ATF that was the ONLY atf that should be used.
Their new replacement, DW-1 has high marks among Ody owners, but Z-1 is avoided like the plague.
However, if you go OEM, you 'usually' will get a product that is at least adequate for the job.
Wow, $90 apiece for a furnace filter? If you need it , you need it.
Buffalo4

1 - 17 of 17 Posts