Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L with almost 80K on it. Lately, it's been a little sluggish, so I'm thinking it may need either a set of new spark plugs or I may need to clean the fuel injectors with Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner, or perhaps even both.

What do you think? Also, is it a good idea to change the spark plug ignition coils as well? If so, does anyone know the NGK part number I need? Thanks!

p.s. I recently changed the engine oil, transmission oil, and rear differential oil and had the dealer flush and refill the brake fluid, so I 'm good there.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I am a fan of Techron, and add a bottle to the fuel tank once a year when I'm filling up.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a fan of Techron, and add a bottle to the fuel tank once a year when I'm filling up.
I agree. I USUALLY do the same, but I've been neglecting my CR-V of late. Perhaps I'll try that first. :)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I agree with Racoon. I would suggest to check the spark plugs or even replace it with NGK preferably. No need to replace the Ignition coils. Also replace the PCV valve.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Fuel injector cleaner is never a bad thing.

Coils are never replaced unless they fail, mine have 221k miles on them.

At 80k changing the plugs is a good idea.

Cleaning the intake is probably a good idea by now as well. Especially if you do mostly lower speed, traffic and idling a lot.

Sluggish can simply be the fuel you put in or if you live where the temperatures have been a roller coaster.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Interesting suggestion about the Techron. Thanks, racoon, and thanks for letting us know it needs to be added only once a year. My '12 EX AWD has just shy of 37,000 miles, and today, on a road with a lot of twists (like mountain switchbacks) and hills, it often felt as if my transmission were staying in a higher gear a bit longer than it should have (that's the best way I can describe what seemed to happen). To be fair, I was accelerating and decelerating a lot on those roads (e.g., slow down to 15 mph for a curve, then speed up for a 35-mph relatively straight stretch, then slow down for a 20-mph curve, then gain speed while going downhill for a fair distance, then go uphill), so maybe it was normal that the engine couldn't keep up with the pace of the terrain changes. I wasn't exceeding the speed limit. It was the first time I had experienced that in six years of ownership. (Like RavenManiac, my V's oil is within the 5,000-mile limit (70 percent life left on the maintenance minder), and has recently had its rear differential and brake fluid flushed and replaced.) On flat, nontwisty roads today, the engine was shifting and downshifting normally. Maybe it was just a fluke, or maybe those roads would cause any automatic transmission to do what mine seemed to do today. Or maybe my fuel injectors need to be cleaned. I've had zero mechanical problems with the car; I've changed the oil at the dealership every 5,000 miles and have otherwise had just recall work done on it.

RavenManiac, I thought our Vs came with a promise from Honda that they would require "no tuneups for first 100,000 miles"? If so, you should still have another 20,000 miles to go before you have to get one. Regardless of what you do, I hope it solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
A couple of thoughts about using Chevron Techron.

If you visit the Techron website, they recommend you put a bottle in every 3,000 miles. If your engine has a lot of deposits, then maybe add a bottle every 3,000 miles the first year, then switch to once a year. That's my opinion only, and has no scientific basis.

If you purchase your gasoline from a Chevron station the gasoline should already have Techron additive in it, as do most (some?) Texaco stations, since Texaco is a subsidiary of Chevon. But I have no idea how much is in each gallon pumped. And from the advertising, some grades of Texaco gasoline might not contain Techron.

There are actually two types of Chevron Techron additive you can buy.

Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner - gray bottle, blue label
Chevron Complete Fuel System Cleaner - black bottle, red label

I use the Complete Fuel System Cleaner.
It comes in two sizes: 12oz to treat 12 gallons, 20oz to treat 20 gallons

My CR-V has a 15.3 gallon tank so I buy the 20oz size.
And as I mentioned earlier, I buy a bottle and carry it around in my car until the next time to get gasoline. I first add the Techron, and then fill the tank.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cool! Thanks for the elaboration, Racoon, especially for the differentiation between types of Techron and for specifying in what order you put in the gas and the Techron.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Its worth mentioning that the directions on both types of Techron say to empty the contents into the almost-empty fuel tank, THEN DRIVE AROUND FOR A FEW MILES, then fill up the tank.

This 'concentrated' dose of Techron does a lot to clean things up. But don't double the dose thinking that's better. I've heard of drivability issues with too much.

You won't get that concentrated cleaning power just by using Top-Tier or Chevron gas.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Its worth mentioning that the directions on both types of Techron say to empty the contents into the almost-empty fuel tank, THEN DRIVE AROUND FOR A FEW MILES, then fill up the tank.
:Hmmmmm:

Guess I need to read the directions better.

:Darn:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, that's wrong. Here are the instructions straight off of the package: Pour the entire contents of one bottle into a nearly empty and refuel with up to 12 gallons of gasoline.

The goal is to mix the Techron with 12 gallons of gasoline, which is easier to do when your tank is almost empty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How do we feel about other brands of complete fuel system cleaners, specifically STP? I bought a single bottle of this because the gas station I was at had it, and it looked as if it did the same thing that Chevron with Techron does: https://www.amazon.com/STP-Complete...ords=stp+5.25+oz+complete+fuel+system+cleaner

I haven't added it to my gas tank yet, though I bought it because I am getting near needing to fill up. Unlike the directions on Chevron's Techron additive, the STP product's directions say to add the bottle's contents "before or after fueling."

·
Registered
128 Posts
OK! Because the previous post was met with a resounding chorus of crickets, I went out and bought a bottle of Chevron Complete Fuel System Cleaner with Techron when I was within about three gallons of empty (I think the MID said I had 86 miles till I was empty). I then went to a Gulf next door to the store, put the bottle in the tank, and then filled up. So we'll see if I have any effect, positive or negative. This will be the first time I have used a fuel additive in the six years and 36,000-plus miles I have owned the car.

I will say that after having rented a 2017 Altima with a CVT for a few days on a recent trip, I greatly appreciate being back in a vehicle that has a transmission with actual gears. It feels so much nicer to drive a car with an engine that is really shifting. Driving the CVT just feels weird. Maybe I would get used to it if it were my daily driver, but I did put 200 miles on the rental and didn't get accustomed to it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OR, you could just stick to Top Tier gas. You'll notice a difference after 3-4 fill ups. If you fill up at a Chevron you'll even get Techron additive for no additional cost!

Around here anyway, Top Tier stations like Exxon and Sinclair are the same or less than the off-brands. But I have no problem paying a few cents more per gallon for the added detergent in Top Tier. I think it's made a huge difference over the last 5 years or so that I've used it exclusively.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OR, you could just stick to Top Tier gas. You'll notice a difference after 3-4 fill ups. If you fill up at a Chevron you'll even get Techron additive for no additional cost!

Around here anyway, Top Tier stations like Exxon and Sinclair are the same or less than the off-brands. But I have no problem paying a few cents more per gallon for the added detergent in Top Tier. I think it's made a huge difference over the last 5 years or so that I've used it exclusively.
I've never filled up with off-brand gas. I think the closest I've ever come to filling up with off-brand gas was when I stopped at a BP once, and I don't know if that even qualifies as off brand.

·
Registered
128 Posts
BP is considered "top tier". Here's a list of the "top tier" brands. https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Thanks. I didn't know that Top Tier was an actual official designation. I have never seen such a logo, but then, I haven't been looking for it. I will see if I can spot it at my next fill-up at one of those branded stations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wait, how is Gulf not on that list? My last fill-up (at which I put in the Chevron fuel-system cleaner) was at a Gulf station. Gulf is not a major brand? I always thought it was; it's been around for decades.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Racoon, just curious: Why do you add only a bottle a year when the bottle recommends a driver use one every 3,000 miles or at every oil change? Is that because that is about how many miles or times you change your oil over a year?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Racoon, just curious: Why do you add only a bottle a year when the bottle recommends a driver use one every 3,000 miles or at every oil change? Is that because that is about how many miles or times you change your oil over a year?
I use Shell gasoline, which is "Nitrogen Enriched", which is supposed to help keep the injectors clean(er).
But I also believe in Techron, so add a bottle once a year.

Is it needed? Maybe not, but it's cheap for peace of mind. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts