Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the thing. I'm not a lead foot but im definitely not light on the pedal. Today I drove to Riverhead, NY from Brooklyn on just over a half tank of gas with the range at approx. 162 miles to empty. The trip took about 2 hours with some minor stop and go traffic both ways so to add it up it was a 4 hour drive. while driving there i switched the econ button on and off because at times i wanted more Pickup. However coming home I was on econ all the way even cruise control at 65 mph for most of the drive. When I got back to my garage the range was at 46! 162 just over a half tank to 46 3 lines off Empty! I only gained .3 fuel economy. I pretty much used a half tank of gas to drive 4 hours mostly on Econ. I didn't see anything different from the 2011 I had driving long distance. Is this right? Or do I really drive that poorly? :mad:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ok here's the thing. I'm not a lead foot but im definitely not light on the pedal. Today I drove to Riverhead, NY from Brooklyn on just over a half tank of gas with the range at approx. 162 miles to empty. The trip took about 2 hours with some minor stop and go traffic both ways so to add it up it was a 4 hour drive. while driving there i switched the econ button on and off because at times i wanted more Pickup. However coming home I was on econ all the way even cruise control at 65 mph for most of the drive. When I got back to my garage the range was at 46! 162 just over a half tank to 46 3 lines off Empty! I only gained .3 fuel economy. I pretty much used a half tank of gas to drive 4 hours mostly on Econ. I didn't see anything different from the 2011 I had driving long distance. Is this right? Or do I really drive that poorly? :mad:
Yeah, I haven't figured out that ECON button either. If someone in the know has any detailed information on what that things does, I'd be most appreciative. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
It does several things. The big three that are "noticeable" by many drivers ... smoother throttle (less aggressive), more conservative transmission (upshifts sooner) and softer A/C (detuned compressor function). I drive with it engaged all the time. There is definitely a difference, but it doesn't bother me. Since I live in the vehicle all day on working days, I am never in a hurry. One of the best examples of what Eco Assist does ... use it taking off from a traffic light to return to a cruising speed. My fuel economy gains are significant, but again ... I drive like Ms. Daisy. For anyone that gets into the peddle, YMMY with any car regardless of the provided technology.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If what you say about your fuel economy gains are true, 50 mph must be where your speedometer stops. I do notice the differences when the button is off and I do like them. I was just a little perturbed to see that I lost as much fuel as my 2011 CR-V when I went on long trips when I have better mpg and an econ button in the new CR-V. I averaged 17.2 mpg on my 2011 and now with the 2012 I average 18.5 which sucks a lot and i do blame my driving on it but i mean come on, i can't do 55 on the highway for 2 hours thats just way too slow to me and if thats the only way to get great fuel economy I'll NEVER see it

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

So instead of "guessing" at your approximate mileage, why not actually fill the tank up and see what your mileage is. Also, who knows what the real weather conditions were for the exact out and back trip, one may have a wind assisted push? Too many variables to estimate your mileage on one small trip. We have over 110,000 miles on our crv and have tracked every gallon and miles driven...to date, we are at 24.0 mpg average. I don't care if one tank is "better" than another as long as we still are hitting our long term average.

Use fuelly.com and this will help you out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If what you say about your fuel economy gains are true, 50 mph must be where your speedometer stops. I do notice the differences when the button is off and I do like them. I was just a little perturbed to see that I lost as much fuel as my 2011 CR-V when I went on long trips when I have better mpg and an econ button in the new CR-V. I averaged 17.2 mpg on my 2011 and now with the 2012 I average 18.5 which sucks a lot and i do blame my driving on it but i mean come on, i can't do 55 on the highway for 2 hours thats just way too slow to me and if thats the only way to get great fuel economy I'll NEVER see it
Holy Smoke! I get 21-25 in my 2000 LX and 26-34 in my 2012 EX-L Navi. I have a roof rack on the former, not the latter. I definitely drive like Ms Daisy, but I do drive the speed limit ... up to 70mph in Florida. I am buying 87 octane from Shell with up to 10% ethanol. I have NO idea what you could be doing to get 18.5mpg ... unless you are sitting in LA or NYC traffic all day. I drive in central Florida which is one of the most congested areas of the country, but I do spend time on the interstates and highways moving between cities and stops at customer's sites.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The fuel economy gauge and the "miles left to empty" are very inaccurate. The latter is only calculated based on the most recent fuel economy input and keep varying depending what you are doing (megring, going downhill, etc). You have to have the econ on for a few thanks and calculate the gas mileage with paper and pencil and then have it off for a few and see if there is a difference.

As a disclosure, mine is a 2011 without econ. If the throttle is less aggressive with econ, I think the car would almost come to a standstill while merging. I have trouble having the damn thing downshift as it is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 2012 reports fuel economy much more accurately then the previous model according to what I've read, with the previous reporting 2-3,pg high and the 2012 being within 0.1-0.2mpg (mine is).
Regarding the econ button the thing I like about it is that once you turn it off it stays off when strating the car again. I found it annoying and found little difference with it on or off. So off it is. I drive normal, seldom speed and accelerate near the head of the pack but not overly hard.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Fix for poor performance and erratic shifting.

As a disclosure, mine is a 2011 without econ. If the throttle is less aggressive with econ, I think the car would almost come to a standstill while merging. I have trouble having the damn thing downshift as it is.
This performance sounds like the hesitation and erratic shifting addressed by TSB10-077 that is included in TSB11-049,

See: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/15-recalls-tsbs-notices/14187-2010-2011-crv-software-update-tsb.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy Smoke! I get 21-25 in my 2000 LX and 26-34 in my 2012 EX-L Navi. I have a roof rack on the former, not the latter. I definitely drive like Ms Daisy, but I do drive the speed limit ... up to 70mph in Florida. I am buying 87 octane from Shell with up to 10% ethanol. I have NO idea what you could be doing to get 18.5mpg ... unless you are sitting in LA or NYC traffic all day. I drive in central Florida which is one of the most congested areas of the country, but I do spend time on the interstates and highways moving between cities and stops at customer's sites.
I do live in NY but do not sit in traffic on a daily basis. I even use the highway when im not in a rush to conserve gas and mpg. Even when I am on the streets im not always stopping and going. Some people like it, some people dislike it. Everyone must remember though that it is an SUV with just basic eco assist NOT a hybrid. That's what i keep telling myself. Otherwise i would just be pissed off and get something else more fuel efficient because i'm not going to lie i DID get this car because 1 i had the previous model and this is a major upgrade and 2 the eco assist. What I didnt realize when purchasing this is what I stated previously. it is NOT a hybrid. Sadly there aren't many hybrid SUV's out there anymore for cheap. The ford escape hybrid, mercury mariner hybrid and Saturn SUV hybrid were the cheapest around. Now there's GMC Yukon hybrid, Cadillac Escallade hybrid, Lexus SUV Hybrid and these cost $$$$$ Most over 45,000! Even the Toyota Highlander Hybrid is costly. Now with saturn and mercury gone, even the new ford escape DOESNT come in hybrid mode. The next brand that comes out with a good looking SUV hybrid in the 30,000 range will soar in the market.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts