Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched everywhere, how do I turn the direction on the navigation on, out loud. I know it shows the street name on the i-Mid screen, but I want it to say it all the street names out loud. Any ideas? Sorry for the confusing words :D

·
Registered
845 Posts
Why do people buy built-in Nav? I've often wondered. Never really got a good answer.
Well,I like the way it looks in the dash along with the bigger screen rear camera.
As far as how it works...a Garmin is so much better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A friend of mine who was in the car business (basically most of his career) before he died told me in 2007 when I was going to buy the RDX with Nav or get the CR-V instead. He said certain luxury things are just expected in a certain level of vehicle. He said if I plan to keep something until the wheels fall off that's a different story. He also told me things like in areas in which it snows, you always should go with the 4WD. At the end of the year there are a bunch of 4x2s on the lot. A couple of other sales people have told me the same thing. So I guess if you plan to keep your vehicle a long time, you might be better off without it. When I took my 2007 into Carmax they made me a good offer and the dealer (for the 2012) matched it. If someone is going to buy a 5 year old car, it is appealing to have it with lots of extras and in good condition. My 2007 did not last long on the lot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why do people buy built-in Nav? I've often wondered. Never really got a good answer.
There are many reasons as to why a person would by a built-in nav, but here's some of mine:
1. it's a just part of the package for the backup camera on my 2010
2. although the factory nav sucks because it's made by Alpine, it gets me in the general area I want to go. I use my own common sense once I get to the area.
3. the fact that the nav is built into the car deters theft when compared to the stick-on-the-dashboard or stick-on-the-windshield types. The ones that are easily removable are much more appealing to the thieves who do smash and grabs

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well,I like the way it looks in the dash along with the bigger screen rear camera.
As far as how it works...a Garmin is so much better.
Best reason so far. "I like the way it looks". Can't argue with that.

All the other reasons make no sense.

·
Registered
331 Posts
3. the fact that the nav is built into the car deters theft when compared to the stick-on-the-dashboard or stick-on-the-windshield types. The ones that are easily removable are much more appealing to the thieves who do smash and grabs
I dunno..... I thought that beside the looks comment; this one was a good one as well. Makes sense to me anyway.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I dunno..... I thought that beside the looks comment; this one was a good one as well. Makes sense to me anyway.
Used to be true when GPS cost a lot, I guess. Not anymore. They're cheap. Besides, how often do you really use the nav? Unless you run a delivery service of course.
If worried about someone trying to steal it, don't leave it in view. Bet you hide your camera. And other valuable stuff.
If built-in units would be cheap, but they're not. Far too expensive for what you get.

But, everyone can do as they want. I waste money on things others wouldn't. Never justify it or make excuses.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Best reason so far. "I like the way it looks". Can't argue with that.

All the other reasons make no sense.
What's your argument for the following reason? Does the backup camera come as a separate option on a 2010 CRV? Didn't think so
1. it's a just part of the package for the backup camera on my 2010
Used to be true when GPS cost a lot, I guess. Not anymore. They're cheap. Besides, how often do you really use the nav? Unless you run a delivery service of course.
If worried about someone trying to steal it, don't leave it in view. Bet you hide your camera. And other valuable stuff.
If built-in units would be cheap, but they're not. Far too expensive for what you get.

But, everyone can do as they want. I waste money on things others wouldn't. Never justify it or make excuses.
Where I live, junkies will break in for parking money whether it's in view or not. so GPS's will definitely attract thieves. I had a deck in my old car and after it got stolen once. i started to take off the faceplate everytime i left the car. It became a bit of a hassle, so the convenience of not having to hide valuables before i leave my car is nice.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Had the same problem with my wife's 2010 CRV. As is remember something about the zoom feature on the Map. If you zoom in or out too far, the abilty to say the street names goes away
I keep it 1/4 mile and the street names are vocal.
I like the on the move input capability and no lockout like the '12 CR-V has and my Lexus.The system is easy to use too.
Just used the system yesterday on a 400 mile round trip.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did, but I regret it now. Not worth the extra $2K. I assumed it would be at least as good as my Garmin Nuvi, which sells for under $150. The attraction was
1. Integrated system. It pauses music or radio to give instructions. No worries about not hearing the instructions due to music.
2. Built in the dash. No need to connect and disconnect.
3. Not as much a target for theft as a portable one.
4. Larger screen.

It was a surprise to learn that it has no TTS and hence will not tell me street names except major highways.
It is sucky. Can not find the nearest Costco or a Marriott Courtyard next to eBay HQ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts