Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my transmission fluid level yesterday and found that it was slightly below the "low mark" and clear but a very light tan.

My CR-V has 27,000 miles so I was surprised when the dealer suggested that they service the Transmission. I asked why the level was low and the mechanic said that there could be some slight evaporation over time. So, I am having the service done but would like to know why the change in color and the loss of fluid.

I do drive long distances quite a bit but am not used to changing fluid at such a low mileage. Any comments are welcome. Thank you

·
Registered
460 Posts
How exactly do you check a Honda transmission fluid? With the Toyota's you have to drive it for a bit and then let it sit then check the fluid.. With Honda's I read the engine has to be running and then check the fluid while it is running?

30,000 miles seems a bit excessive to me, but if you do towing or anything that puts heavy load and stress on the transmission it does sound about right. Most can usually do 50,000 miles before needing to be replace, same time as the coolant. When you drain one you can drain both.

Some systems today are sealed systems with "Never needs to be changed" stickers on them.. I wonder if the new Honda CRV with CVT will have "lifetime" CVT fluid...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the Honda manual the engine has to be at normal operating temperature, wait until the radiator fan starts, shut off engine wait 60 seconds but less than 90, remove wipe and re-insert the dip stick. Note the engine is off.

I had the fluid changed today and without running the car, it is still tan in color; that tells me that they may be using other"colors" than cherry red. I believe that it does not hurt to change fluids.

I would be interested in knowing what your reading.

As respects, sealed systems, I believe that the 2014 Accord has a sealed transmission.

Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not the easiest to check especially with the fan needs to be on then off then between 60-90 seconds.

If slightly below low mark could not OP added some to get within normal range or is that not adviseable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could have added some fluid but since the color was changing indicating that it was "breaking down", I decided to replace all of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts