Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2012 CRV and the AWD light on the dash has started coming on. Will start driving and after a few miles the light will come on. I got one of those code readers but even when the light is on it doesn't throw a code on the reader. I have down loaded both service bulletins that deal with the AWD light. Car has just under 24000 miles and still have coverage under warranty. Any suggestions? Will be calling the local dealer to schedule a service.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,804 Posts
Bring it in. The light means that the diff has overheating clutches. (Because this isn't an emissions fault, it isn't typically 'read' by generic OBDII code readers.)

Post back with your outcome.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If "still have coverage under warranty", i would take to Honda dealer as well. When it comes to AWD systems, it would be anything. Best to let them diagnose its root cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also had that problem with my 2012. Brought it into the dealer and it was a sensor problem. Sounds simple but the sensor is located in the differential. All day job so they gave me a loaner. I have mechanical breakdown coverage through my insurance so it cost me the $250 deductible. The job was almost a $500 dollar job. No more problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from the dealer, it was the solenoid that was bad. Still had some life left in the warranty so it only cost us $100. No light on the way home. Brought it in at 9:00 and they called at 2:30 to say it was done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We had a similar experience with our 2013 CRV. The AWD light came on about a month after getting the CRV and the battery was marginal. We replaced the battery and the AWD light went out...for a while. The next thing I tired was to replace the AWD relay (less than $10 on eBay) in the trunk area. I thought the problem may be solved as again the AWD light went out...but only for a while. The AWD light eventually came back on intermittently with it becoming more and more frequent. There was no CEL and no stored codes that shown on my reader. The only other thing that seemed likely was a bad electric differential pressure solenoid. The solenoid, o-rings, drive fluid, etc cost about $100 and was a PITA job by the way, lol. In any case, the AWD light has not came on since replacing the solenoid. Time will tell if that fixes it permanently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had a similar experience with our 2013 CRV. The AWD light came on about a month after getting the CRV and the battery was marginal. We replaced the battery and the AWD light went out...for a while. The next thing I tired was to replace the AWD relay (less than $10 on eBay) in the trunk area. I thought the problem may be solved as again the AWD light went out...but only for a while. The AWD light eventually came back on intermittently with it becoming more and more frequent. There was no CEL and no stored codes that shown on my reader. The only other thing that seemed likely was a bad electric differential pressure solenoid. The solenoid, o-rings, drive fluid, etc cost about $100 and was a PITA job by the way, lol. In any case, the AWD light has not came on since replacing the solenoid. Time will tell if that fixes it permanently.
I have a 2012 crv with the same problem. AWD light comes on with no fault code. I am going to replace the AWD relay since it is a cheap and easy fix but if that doesn't fix it I am considering replacing solenoid. I was wondering did the solenoid fix your problem?
Thank You for your reply,
Mike

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,191 Posts
I have a 2012 crv with the same problem. AWD light comes on with no fault code. I am going to replace the AWD relay since it is a cheap and easy fix but if that doesn't fix it I am considering replacing solenoid. I was wondering did the solenoid fix your problem?
Thank You for your reply,
Mike
If the AWD light came on then there is a fault code...it's just that most low cost OBD scanners only read engine and emission codes. You may want to invest in a better scanner before throwing parts at the problem. A fault with the solenoid will set a C-1858-xx code and the AWD fail safe relay will set a c-1850-xx code

1 - 8 of 8 Posts